Author Topic: GSXR 250/Bandit 400  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Kat

• New user!
GSXR 250/Bandit 400
« on: April 18, 2005, 01:27:53 AM »
Hi guys, I'm afraid I am not a Bandit owner but I have a Katana GSXR 250 import (in Aus) and I have been told many things about it, one of which is that the engine is the same as a Bandit 400...
Does anyone know if this is true?

Also, I am having some troubles with the little beast, (sparks, but no start) and have tried checking all the electrics and I know fuel makes it into the Carby bowls... I have no idea why it isn't starting, any suggestions? (in laymans terms please :)

Cheers Guys

K

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
GSXR 250/Bandit 400
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 10:57:38 AM »
:welcome:

Um, I think that it would be more likely that it's the engine from the Bandit 250 rather than the 400.   :idea:

More info on the starting problem would be helpful.  Does it crank?  Turnover?  Is your choke cable opening the choke circut?  How are your plugs?  Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Zhi

• Board Homesteader!
GSXR 250/Bandit 400
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 08:01:54 PM »
Have you tried a new batch of gas or atleast drained the carbs?
I've always had problems starting my bandit 400 when it sits in the garage for more than a couple of weeks.  Draining the gas from the carbs seem to get the little guy fired up everytime.
Z

Living and riding in the S.F. Bay Area.

Offline Kat

• New user!
GSXR 250/Bandit 400
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 08:23:15 PM »
Thanx,
The problem in my laymans terms...
After only 1 day of not running, the engine trys to turn over but there is no ignition. Ie it doesn't crank.
Things I have done to try fix include: Draining carbs (many times), drained tank, filled with fresh fuel and expensive fuel cleaner, checked, cleaned, then changed plugs(#4 has weaker spark), checked leads. The choke works but wasn't needed when it was running, the CDI unit was changed (after which she ran for 3 days and then stopped again). The only thing I can think of that I havn't checked is the coil but 2 cylinders should be different if this was stuffed...

Ummm... will look at the cylinder pressure on the weekend :)

:thanks: