Author Topic: Strange electrical noise  (Read 2597 times)

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
Strange electrical noise
« on: September 25, 2006, 01:14:04 AM »
Well it seems that after I ride for a long time my bike makes some crazy noise. I was out for 2-3 hours today and when I got back there was an awful high-pitched electical noise coming from the battery area. It was just a constant high tone that faded in volume after a few minutes and eventually quit. Does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be?

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
Sounds like charging problem to me
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 10:40:39 PM »
Hi Nate,

Sorry to here you are having electrical gremlins.  I saw in a previous post that you were having the lights go bright and dim at random.  What you are describing sounds like it may be related.  There is nothing under the seat that is mechanical in nature to cause a noise like you mention, the radiator overflow is mounted in near the horn on your bike.  I suspect that the same problem that is causing your lights to go up and down is overcharging the battery.  The battery will boil if overcharged and emit a lot of hydrogen gas (be careful not to create sparks, hydrogen is very explosive) that may be causing the whistle noise while escaping the battery.  I think you should just go ahead and pony up for a new voltage regulator (lots of threads on this board for that subject).

Good luck,
Russ
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Strange electrical noise
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 11:12:19 PM »
Good thought, Russ.  Sounds logical.

How you been, man?  Hows the Yammie?  I heard you, Bill Drummond and my bud Ron had a little R6 reunion last month.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Sounds like charging problem to me
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 07:23:24 AM »
Quote from: Racerruss-ducati
Sorry to here you are having electrical gremlins.  I saw in a previous post that you were having the lights go bright and dim at random.

When I had this problem it was the regulator. I would get another one, if it's not the problem you'll have a spare one when it does, and will, become a problem.

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
Strange electrical noise
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 01:32:20 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. The battery tested as bad so I went ahead and checked around for a new one. Advance Auto's off-brand was $59, so I just ebayed myself a sealed battery, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4632815876&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT, and a r/r unit from a CM400 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=190036082200&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT.

Hopefully the parts will come in by the end of the week and I can start getting to class on time again. Thanks again.