Author Topic: Happy Camper!  (Read 2952 times)

Offline tabby

• TURBO TYPER!
Happy Camper!
« on: May 02, 2010, 11:13:38 AM »
Indeed!  :thumb:
I had some cold start issues with my daughter's 400. Traced it to one lost, and one damaged, brass choke circuit tubes.
ovlovder came to the rescue with another set of carbs. I transferred over the Factory Pro jet kit, all of the new o-rings, re-set the float heights, and a good cleaning.
Started right up, and gave it a good sych. The test was this morning. What was she going to do from a random cold start up? Schwing! Turned over and fired up, just like new. The choke circuit is working just like it should. I'm sure I may have to finalize the jetting a little, but at least now I can move on the tinkering with the chassis. It needs new fork seals, and brake pads. At least that stuff isn't a mystery.

Offline mud390

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Happy Camper!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 11:48:20 AM »
Very nice!  You going to do the fork seals yourself?

Kris
1991 Bandit 250

Offline tabby

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:33:59 PM »
Yup, they aren't hard to do. The forks on the 400 are almost identical in layout to the forks on my 86 GSXR. They use the same seals, and in my perusing of catalogs, I found out they use the same Progessive Suspension fork springs. I've gone to Racetech in the GSXR, but I have a set of Progressive springs left over, that I'll throw in the Bandit.

Offline mud390

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 09:47:32 AM »
Very nice, and good info on the springs.  I actually need to change my seals, but I don't have the place to do, or the knowledge.  I'll be taking my Bandit 250 to a local shop next week to get both fork legs taken care of. 

Kris
1991 Bandit 250

Offline tabby

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 11:32:26 AM »
Knowledge, a factory service manual is worth its weight in gold. I'm not a rocket scientist by any stretch of the imaqination, and I get by with that. A place to work on your bike, and just as importantly, tools, can be a bit more problematic. I'd get a service manual, and I do mean factory, first off. I'd scan ebay first. That's how I got my manual.
I don't know your background or knowledge base, but at least with a service manual handy, you can tackle things on your bike as your knowledge, tools and place to do it all allows.

Offline mud390

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 12:09:59 PM »
Tools aren't a problem, aside from "special" tools for obscure jobs.  I'm fairly mechanical, as I used to work on 4x4 trucks with regularity and work on airplanes for my day job.  I'd love to get a factory service manual, and I've been looking, but I'm having a hard time tracking one down for my particular bike.  The search continues.  The biggest factor for me is a the place to work on my bike.  Little things are no problem, but bigger jobs are pretty much out of the question right now.  Which is unfortunate, but I'm dealing with it.

Kris
1991 Bandit 250

Offline tabby

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 05:43:40 PM »
Kris, with your background, this bike stuff will definately be a snooze for you. I hope things work out down the road, so you can get your hands dirty on these things too!

Tab.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 07:16:57 PM »
I'd love to get a factory service manual, and I've been looking, but I'm having a hard time tracking one down for my particular bike.  The search continues. 

You could check the downloads section of the site....
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline tabby

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 01:49:17 PM »
Darn! I moved on to do the fork seals and found out the tubes are bent. Not horribly, umm,,, at least 1/16" from flat! Ouch. Luckily, I have access to a hydraulic press, and an inspection dept. I set up a couple of V-blocks and an indicator on a granite surface plate. A trail and error adventure later, I have them both at .005 or less from flat. Not perfect, but perfect enough. Heck, one co-worker said Harley's dimension for their forks is no more than .008 from flat.
Hopefully, I'll get the forks together this weekend to see how they feel.