Author Topic: Hard to start (maybe starter issues?)  (Read 2735 times)

Offline stefanoascari

• TURBO TYPER!
Hard to start (maybe starter issues?)
« on: November 06, 2012, 12:24:49 PM »
Hi,

I have a 91 gsf 400 and I live in Minnesota.  

I had put the bike in a shed for a week because it was raining. The other day the wheather cleared up and I wanted to take it out for a spin and it wouldn't start when I hit the ignition (not even the clicking sound but lights are all on). I thought maybe battery was dead (It is an old battery 3+ years) and charged it and put it back but nothing changed. Sometimes though the starter would work and the bike would turn. If I push-start the bike the bike turns and runs ok (after that the starter seems to work a little better). I should mention it got really cold here the week this happened.
Is my starter dying or is it just the cold?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:35:06 PM by stefanoascari »

Offline bullet5

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Hard to start (maybe starter issues?)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 02:14:15 PM »
The cold in itself won't be the problem. Have a look at the side stand switch and clutch switch first. Then we will have to check earths for the starter motor and solenoid.

Offline stefanoascari

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 02:16:33 PM »
Ok, I will take a look. I did look at the side stand pin and pushed it in and out...seems ok...Not sure what I'm looking for. I'll take a look at the clutch switch next.

Offline stefanoascari

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 08:06:29 PM »
Ok so it's definitely a temperature issue. On Saturday the weather was unusually warm. Bike started up right away. Went for a nice long ride. Sunday, weather dropped to freezing again: bike won't start. I blame the battery...

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 11:53:26 AM »
Get a bigger slow jet from SUDCO or local dealer. You will have to adjust your air screw with the bigger jet.
More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369

Offline bullet5

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 01:38:54 PM »
Hmm just remembered something. My virago 535 had problems last winter with regards to starting. Some days it would turn over fine and others it wouldn't even make a click. I managed to work it down to the regulator/rectifier. These are a common fault on the 400's & 250's. After replacing it (5 minute job on that bike, and even easier on bandits) she runs a treat :beers:  I thought it was battery problems, but the battery was fairly new (1/2 a year old at most) and when testing it all seemed fine.

If your engine isn't even beginning to turn on some start ups then it's definitely not the jets, so don't go playing with these. Even if you did need more fuel at idle you can just adjust the idle mixture screw, however seen as the bike is running fine at other times I would leave this alone. :thumb:

The battery could be at fault however it would at least click when you try and turn it over, and the lights would dip.

Check all your earths especially the rectifier one. I'm pretty sure this is your problem.