Author Topic: has anybody modded their stock exhaust?  (Read 2942 times)

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
has anybody modded their stock exhaust?
« on: October 17, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
Hey everyone!
I'd like to know what, and if any low cost options are available out there. Like removing the baffling inside the can? Removing that inner exhaust tube after the collecter? How about just cutting the can off?
What have you done with your exhaust an how does it sound compared to stock?
I'd like to keep mine appearing factory...but sounding better..louder

Offline Craig806

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: has anybody modded their stock exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »
I bought my b400 with aftermarket pipes and a yoshi can but the pipes were badly rusted and dented up so they had to go. Switched to full stock and was greatly disappointed. With the stock set up, my bike sounded less aggressive than my neighbor’s Vespa Scooter.   I chopped the stock can off the stock pipes and put the Yoshimura on - sounds infinitely better.  Just took a hacksaw, time, and some brute force.

Good Luck! These guys sell new exhaust cans for the factory pipes with instructions for where to make the cut: http://www.fuelexhausts.com/ - I recommend having instructions; I eyeballed the cut and had to modify the mounting bracket to make everything fit without rubbing the swing arm… oops 30 minute job turned into an all afternoon job. I also found new stainless exhaust bolts and new gaskets on ebay – highly recommend changing them out of you pull off the exhaust.

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »
Thanks for the input! Did you fire it up with no exhaust?

Offline Craig806

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 01:56:05 PM »
I didnt try - sorry.

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 01:59:12 PM »
So all I gotta do is hack it off an weld another on? No need to reconfigure the carbs for the increased exhaust flow?

Offline Craig806

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »
I didnt, but as im also an ameture. it seemed to ride a bit sluggish when i swaped to the full stock system and then felt normal (to me) when i put the yoshi can back on. I'm not sure when the prior owner did but they put the K&N filter, and a full after market exhaust so I imagine they probably jetted or adjusted to accomidate... I havent pulled the carbs yet.

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 07:55:32 AM »
So all I gotta do is hack it off an weld another on? No need to reconfigure the carbs for the increased exhaust flow?
I just hacked off my stock muffler and fitted a aftermarket one (roadsitalia) last week. Gotta say it sounds awesome. Way way deeper sound at low rpm and nice sporty sound at high rpm. (obviously depends on muffler.. they say carbon is the way to go or it sounds too harsh/loud without DB-killer)

I didn't do extensive testing yet but I didn't rejet and it runs just like before. All I did was put the throttle needle clips 1 step richer.. but I wanted to do that even without new muffler because of the dip at 5000rpm
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:57:31 AM by Squishy »

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:00:40 AM »
By dip at 5k you mean no power till 8? Lol thanks for the info...but I suppose this project will be put on hold pending the condition my engine is in...have yet to pull it apart...gotta get my arse out bed!