Author Topic: Headlight install, two plugs?  (Read 2644 times)

Offline dolly_parton

• TURBO TYPER!
Headlight install, two plugs?
« on: January 24, 2011, 03:12:09 PM »
Hi all - recently purchased a headlight from omniaracing; the light, however, has two plugs for two bulbs...the three-prong male for the main bulb and a two-socket female plug for what appears to be a running light. Please advise how I should hook this up, and get it to work with high-beam - my wiring harness only has the three-prong male as far as I can tell.

The bike: '92 gsf400
The light: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fairing-Headlight-Harley-Universal-Buell-Naked-street-/230463336884

(you can see the two plugs in the scroll-down picture)

Thanks!

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Headlight install, two plugs?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »
Is the main bulb on the new one an H4?  Then you would wire the 3 prong GSF connector to that.  By "two-socket" did you mean two prong?

If that is to be on only when the high beam is on the wire it in parallel with the 3 prong high beam.  If I'm reading the diagram white that would be tapping off the BW (Black/White) wire which is the common and the Y (Yellow) wire which is the 12V to the high beam.  Make sure your fuse will handle the extra current of the parallel light.

If that is to be in parallel with the low beam then tap off the BW and W (white) wires.

I haven't done this and it's just a best guess.

Offline dolly_parton

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 04:14:40 PM »
Typo, yes, two-prong. (I believe it is picture #6 in the scroll-down)
The bulb is indeed an h4.

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »
Then the H4 socket from the original Bandit should fit it without rewiring (if long enough).  All you would have to do is tap off either high or low beam for the second bulb as mentioned above.

Offline dolly_parton

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 04:31:16 PM »
Got it. What would you recommend as the best solution to tap off the wires here (electrical tape bad habit - this will be exposed to the elements)?

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 04:44:14 PM »
Easiest is to get the little crimp on taps at the auto parts store.  Best is to strip the insulation a bit and solder the connection then insulate with good heat shrinkable tubing.