Author Topic: How long have you owned your B4?  (Read 5855 times)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
How long have you owned your B4?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 10:17:18 PM »
Quote from: "bigbadmad"
Like a Honda Hornet but with real grunt.

Which Honda Hornet are you referring to?  The 919 (65 ft-lbs and 106 HP as dynoed) has more torque and more HP than the Z750.  The 599 on the other hand,...

On the 919, I've taken off from a light in 4th gear, from a dead stop, and not stalled it.  Dita usually just gives me the finger if I try to take off in 2nd.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 08:57:05 PM »
>>Dita usually just gives me the finger if I try to take off in 2nd.<<

Surprisingly, I've taken off from a light in third(!) on my B4. It's all in the throttle and the friction zone I guess, but I did it, simply because I was too lazy to shift back down. :bandit:

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 10:38:13 PM »
Quote from: "Vidrazor"

Surprisingly, I've taken off from a light in third(!) on my B4. It's all in the throttle and the friction zone I guess, but I did it, simply because I was too lazy to shift back down. :bandit:

I suspect it would make a lot of difference if she still -had- a friction zone.  She needs her clutch done, the pitfalls off a starter bike that was abused before I got it.  That's on the list for a month or so down the road, when we can get her out of the shed, and find out exactly which parts she needs before I order them.

Somedays starting in first is a production with her.  I usually call her a grumpy old senior when she does that though.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 04:17:02 AM »
I've had my bandit for almost exactly a year (since 11th Feb'06).

I've done about 16,000km on it (commuting, open road and 1 track day). I've put a gsxr1100 rear shock and R1 fork springs in it and have recently adjusted it so the rear is fairly high and the front is low-ish to get the steering a bit more neutral feeling, which I think has improved the handling a fair bit. :)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 02:42:25 PM »
>>Somedays starting in first is a production with her.<<

Another surprising moment for me was when I dropped the clutch once at a stoplight to get ahead of an annoying car that had been in front of me for a while. I was quite surprised to see my front end come off the ground. I never would've imagined that my little mouse-motored buzzbox could have ever popped a wheelie, especially when you're not even trying! :shock:

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 03:51:23 PM »
Quote from: "Vidrazor"
>>Somedays starting in first is a production with her.<<

Another surprising moment for me was when I dropped the clutch once at a stoplight to get ahead of an annoying car that had been in front of me for a while. I was quite surprised to see my front end come off the ground. I never would've imagined that my little mouse-motored buzzbox could have ever popped a wheelie, especially when you're not even trying! :shock:

:lol: I've done that too!  I must have been licensed for about 3 weeks by then.  I was a little grumpy with Dita when she was stalling a bunch on the main street of Edmonton, in heavy traffic.  I started her up, revved her up really hard, because she was -almost- flooded, based on the fast crank/ slow start, and dumped the clutch before the revs came down.  She lunged forward, and I felt myself sliding toward the pillion seat, and the bars rising towards me.  Hmm,.. uh oh.  Good thing my KTM taught me how to handle that previously.  She was very well behaved after showing me that she could do that.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 05:13:59 PM »
mine only does that when i have someone sitting on the rearseat....
i can let the clutch go at 11k rpm without having my front wheel rise, guess my b4 is "slow"  :roll:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline SpoolinVolvo

• Board Regular!
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 07:11:21 PM »
I tryed to post on this thread when I only had my bike for 24 hours, its been about 10 days now I geuss, It took that long to register my screename........
I just bought mine, its a good step up from my old ninja 250....
needs rear master cylinder, engine covers, gaskets, headlight hardware good running bike with hella miles (36k)
paid $800 for it, comments welcome :monkeymoon:

Offline skr00zloose

• Board Regular!
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 08:36:49 PM »
i'm right there with ya. had mine for about 3 days, lol. already started ripping things off (typical for me). changed to clip-ons, new headlights, ditched the whole rear end in favor of a ducati monster seat, etc. much more changes to come!!
-2002 cbr954 streetfighter
-1988 CR500 powered hawk gt
-1986 gsxr 7/12 streetfighter
-1997 ktm duke in s/m trim
-2001 drz400e supermoto
-1976 gsxr suspended xs650 cafe racer
-1978 rigid frame xs650 bobber
-1991 gsf400 (on it's way)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 09:20:57 PM »
Quote from: "SpoolinVolvo"

I just bought mine, its a good step up from my old ninja 250....

Oh no.... Where are our 250 fans????   :monkeymoon:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2007, 10:22:08 PM »
That was my first street bike a decade and a half ago loved it went through 3 motors wheelied it from every stop light i seen by the time i got rid of it when i was 24 i was doing stand up wheelies and shifting into second LOL those where the days! Roll 5mph rev to 13-14000 rpm dump clutch and hang on PMSL
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2007, 10:23:47 PM »
Oh and just to be a snob my 400 wheelies all the time!!! :monkeymoon:  :stickpoke:  :motorsmile:  :shock:  :lol:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 10:11:30 PM »
>>mine only does that when i have someone sitting on the rearseat....i can let the clutch go at 11k rpm without having my front wheel rise, guess my b4 is "slow"<<

Maybe you should have your drivetrain checked out. How many miles are on your bike? I had ~21000 on mine when this happened. Does your engine seem normal (to spec)? My bike is stock except for progressives up front.

One thing I'll add is that I experienced my unwanted wheelie after I had a fresh chain installed. One person said that wouldn't have made any difference, while another said it could.

All I know is I had never experienced that before I got the new chain, and the old one was getting up there in miles. I just throttled the bike as I always had when I wanted a quick takeoff, so maybe it does make a difference to have a new chain.

Also, I weigh ~150lbs., if you're significantly heavier it may have some bearing on it (no pun intended :grin: ).

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 03:19:08 AM »
my drivetrain works perfectly. i've had 2 different engines so i should know how the spec. power feels, and its good  :wink:
(real top speed of 172km/107mile per hour where the normal indicator says almost 200km/h)
1st engine had 8.000 miles before one of the big-end bearings decided to stop working and my 2nd engine has about 31.000 miles

i did raise the rear end (45mm) so that would make wheelies from pure power harder. but before i did that it, it also never made power wheelies when driving alone.

guess i'm to heavy  :roll:  75kg/165lbs

a fresh chain will have less friction, so it will have more power at the back wheel, however the difference depends on the state of the old chain and in most cases you wont notice any difference in power
a good chain will transfer 92-98% of the power, but it is possible for an old chain to only transfer 80%

but thats offtopic  :stickpoke:
i own my b4 since nov 2003  :beers:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 09:00:23 PM »
250 Fan?  Right Here!
I've had the baby Bandit since Oct '04.  I'm thinking of selling it so I can get another EX250.  The Ninja 250 may be a better all round bike.  I've come to this realization after riding my wife's to and from work when the bandit was laid up for a couple of months.  I allready race a 250 and would like to trick one out for the street.