Author Topic: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't Set Idle  (Read 3082 times)

Offline UngerOne

• New user!
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't Set Idle
« on: June 25, 2008, 10:01:12 PM »
I just recently purchased a 1993 GSF400 and it runs really well except for midrange and it will not idle at all.  I have followed the service manuals recommended method for setting the idle, but have had no success.  Any help would be great! :banghead:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't Set Idle
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 11:40:59 PM »
where is the idle screw  :motorsmile:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline UngerOne

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:45:16 AM »
According to the service manual, the idle is set with the Throttle stop screw which is on the left side.  But when I turn it to increase the idle and then hit the throttle it doesn't back off very fast at all.  Which makes riding difficult cause it wants to pop a wheelie in every gear.  The service manual does not mention any other way of setting the idle.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 11:52:32 AM »
idle screw are in the middle of the carbs between 2-3 usually a big screw or a knob with a braided wire that goes to the middle of the carbs. sounds also like you may need a carb sink
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline UngerOne

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 03:02:47 PM »
Ok, it looks as if what the service manual is calling the throttle stop is the idle screw.  The big knob on the left goes under the carbs and then bends up and goes between the two middle carbs.  When I turn it the idle does go up but when I hit the throttle it revs up but comes back down very slowly.  What is the best way to tell if the carbs need to be sinked? One other thing, I have noticed that if I put the choke on just a bit I can keep the idle up around 1400/1500 but it will not stay constant, sometimes it will jump up to 2000 for a bit and come back down.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 03:18:18 PM »
you could have a dry throttle cable, a frayed throttle cable, a air leak, carbs out of sync. dont mess with the choke it will just foul out the plugs by some new plugs and it might idle fine...

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 04:13:03 PM »
OK... Keeping in mind that I'm not all that bright - couldn't the air screws be really lean?  Have they been messed with (are the plugs drilled out)?  Have you recently messed with them?  Just a thought...
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline UngerOne

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 04:50:55 PM »
I do know that the guy I bought it from said that when he got it it had been sitting for like five years and he had to remove the carbs and clean them.  I am not sure if the air screws have been messed with at all but I do know that the plugs are brand new.  Would it be best if I just took it to the shop and let a pro check it out?  I have worked on and rebuilt many car engines and my dirt bike but this is the first street bike I have had that has carb problems and I don't want to screw anything up.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 10:33:39 PM »
Sorry man...  by plugs, I meant the little brass 'plugs' that cover the air screws.  They're drilled out to get at the air screws when tuning the carbs.  If they are exposed (meaning someone has messed with them), screw them in until lightly seated while counting how many revolutions on each.  Make a note of that.  Then I'd back them out about 2.5 turns and see if that makes any difference. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline UngerOne

• New user!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 11:00:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice man, I will check the plugs first thing tomorrow and let you know.  I really appreciate your help on this matter.