Author Topic: Help needed from 250/400 owners  (Read 2836 times)

Offline CreamX

• New user!
Help needed from 250/400 owners
« on: January 28, 2013, 06:33:09 PM »
Hey guys i just picked up a slingshot 250 for my first bike and i was wondering if someone could post a list of known interchangeable parts between 400's and 250's(shrouds, rear shock, gas tap).
Many thanks.

Offline bullet5

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Help needed from 250/400 owners
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 07:46:47 AM »
Hello there, the search function should reveal a few of your answers, but it'll take some work. Suzuki's are renouned for their interchangable parts, most of them will either bolt straight up with no or very little work. The 250 and 400 weigh just about the same, and the only major difference being the engine, carbs and airbox. I don't see why the rear shock would be changed between the two, and they both look very similar. Are you looking at that as an upgrade? If so I wouldn't bother. Have a look into gsxr shocks. There is a sticky thread on here somewhere that lists suitable upgrades

If you need a 400 shock measuring I can do so, as I've a dead old one lying on the side. I've replaced it with a Hagon Monoshock. Bit costly, but well worth it. :thumb:

As for the plastics, it would seem the seat fairings are the same (both gens), but the airbox covers on the Mk1's is different between the 250's and 400's. The Mk2 airbox covers may be interchangable, however they could have some bungs in slightly different places, due to the airbox shape. I would also believe that the tank taps are the same for the 250/400's. I am in no way guarenting any of this, but it's most likely. Another way you could check is to look up the item codes for each part. If they're the same, then suzuki didn't change that part, and they are interchangable.

Sorry I can't be of much use, but the 400's are not well documented, let alone the 250's. What year is your 250? That should aid your search. :beers:

All the best,
Bullet5.

Offline CreamX

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:45:27 AM »
First of all thank you for the guide ... prior to posting i searched and found some answers but if there were some owners whom could share some info it would have been welcomed (who purchased parts for 400's and fitted them to 250's).I found on some japanese forums that (if the translation is correct) 400's and 250's are exactly the same except engine, carbs and airbox.It's a 1995 slingshot 250R Candy red  i will post some images in the introduction topic.I already bought some parts from a 400 (risk) and will reply with the compatibility.

Offline bullet5

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 05:36:05 PM »
Roger that, it's a shame they weren't more popular bikes, as they truely are great, especially when you consider they were being made over 20 years ago. :beers: I'm pretty sure the vast majority of parts will be a straight swap, as the Bandit 600, 750 and 1200 are almost all the same too, apart from a few minor differences. Suzuki like to keep the parts list to a minimal number. :grin:
Thankyou for offering to report your findings to us all. It'll be most welcome :beers:
Bullet5.

Offline vraptor

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »
Its ashame you dont have the older model as I have a 250 and 400 in my garage and could have told you the differences

Offline CreamX

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 08:12:01 PM »
Came back with the feedback regarding the 400 parts that i ordered - the faring on the right side if the tail fitted perfectly, the rear shock was exactly the same ( only on mine the writing was only in japanese) still kyb made.I hear the carbs are different (33 vs 30 mm) though mine work perfectly after some carb cleaner sprayed in the airbox(bike running) and a good blow with the compressor gun (with the airbox taken out).
It's a GJ74A (how much older ? ;) ).Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:27:20 PM by CreamX »

Offline CreamX

• New user!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 12:45:51 PM »
Help would be much apreciated.After a lot of tinkering with the carbs i found that i'm missing a gasket (it's an o-ring).. the one that sits below the part where all the jets are screwed.at the moment i made one out of gasket paper but since it's fairly complicated and it's not identical so i would like to buy one.Please ... if you know any (even japanese) stores that sell rebuild kits please give me a link.( i've been looking aound the net and  found nothing).o Btw the carbs are the sme as gsx-r250r (gj73a).Some yamaha's use bdst's,  fzr 400 and 600 and tdm850 but the gaskets in question are different(of course).The fzr 250's i think use identical but i can't seem to find a parts list  - and even then it's still a imported bike so japan is the way to go.

found here :

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B14rZbMh20NmMk95dlFMOFFQWlE/edit

fig.11 no 27.
Many thanks and ride safe.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:06:27 PM by CreamX »

Offline CreamX

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:12:45 PM »
Found and replaced it.
Meanwhile... top yoke from 1998 bandit 600 is exactly the same. (changed from clip-ons to regular handlebars). Ride safe.