Author Topic: carb troubles...  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
carb troubles...
« on: August 05, 2007, 12:21:37 PM »
2 days ago i took my carbs apart and cleaned them, because the bike had some trouble starting when cold (the motor not the weather)
and after that he wouldnt run normally  :duh:

he'll just rev really high, 11-12k

i opened them again and saw the large rings of the floater where not seated right so i tried to seat them proper.
it didnt help...

i tried starting with 1 sparkplug cable loose to locate the cilinder/carb that was malfunctioning. after trying it with the 2 outer cilinders i found that cilinder 4 was the problem.
so i opened the carb and replaced the large floater ring with a new one.
at first it helped and it rev'ed normally, but since i was testing i didnt have the air (pod) filters in place so it was very lean.
so after warming the bike up i figured i'd fit the filters and synchronize the carbs and be done with it...

but after i fitted the filters it rev'ed high (11-12k) again  :headscratch:

so i tried again with 3 cilinders to locate the problem cilinder/carb and now it was the 3rd cilinder/carb.
first i wanted to make sure there wasnt an air leak so i started it with only 1 coil working (it was only running on cilinder 2 and 3) so it didnt rev really high (just 10k  :shock: ) and sprayed some aerosol very flammable thingy on it.
but it didnt respond to it except when i aimed at the filters, so it seems there is no air leaks.

so i replaced all of the (the other 3) large floater o-rings but it didnt help anything  :bomb:

now im starting to get really frustrated cos i alreaddy took them apart like 7-8 times and its not helping...

anybody got some ideas? it seems to be getting way to much gas (climbs up to 100kph/60mph without any throttle)
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
carb troubles...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »
get a whole rebuild kit or find some float needles
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
carb troubles...
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 05:10:14 PM »
also pull your cables off and lube them while lubing check for frays in cables including choke cable may also have a broken brass choke pipe
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
carb troubles...
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 05:41:20 PM »
well....   getting a complete rebuild kit would be the best ofcourse, but soon (2 weeks) i'll receive some vvt carbs (which are the same as normal ones, but have throttle positioning sensor) for use with the vvt head, wiring loom and cdi i alreaddy have  :bandit:

the cables are fine and nothing is stuck..  
i doubt if it is the choke pipe since with full choke it would rev to max 8k instead of 11-12k and when i replaced one o-ring it was fine for a very short while.

i'll check some things tomorrow:
- change the floaters from cilinders 3 and 4 to see if the problem stays or moves along.
- check floater height
- clean everything for the 10th time  :taz:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
carb troubles...
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 05:50:20 PM »
wont you still want to rebuild the vv ones just to eliminate any potential problems?

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
carb troubles...
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 05:54:20 PM »
i would, but i'm worried about my budget since i dont have a job yet  :roll:

what do those rebuild sets cost?
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
carb troubles...
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 06:08:24 PM »
75.00 shipped

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
carb troubles...
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 11:25:40 AM »
after switching the floaters between carb 3 and 4 the problem magically disappeared  :wtf:
in the mean time i also charged the battery but i doubt if that has anything to do with it, since it was full to start with

then when i tried to synchronize them i found out in the process i had blocked the synchronize-shafts so i couldnt check the vacuum of 3 of the carbs  :duh:

opened them up again, de-clogged them, put them back together again, synchronized them and now it idles better then ever before  :banana2:  :banana:  :banana2:

now lets just hope those VVT carbs dont have any problems...
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
carb troubles...
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 11:58:15 AM »
:motorsmile:

Offline Tainted-Meat

• Board Homesteader!
Re: carb troubles...
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 10:41:01 AM »
what's the difference between teh variable valvecarbs and the none variable valved ?

i have a variable but i can't find any position sensor on it ? ? ? ? ? !!!!!! ? ? ? ?
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 10:59:01 AM »
black round thing on side with tps wire coming out of it 33mm

Offline Tainted-Meat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 11:00:43 AM »
deffinatly not there, was it pre 2nd gen engines ?
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 12:12:51 PM »
interesting thought all the new ones had it, may want to look for a manual or parts book for your bike

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 06:02:52 PM »
Hi Tm and Jay, just been looking in my service data and i cannot see any sensor on the 400v (model V 97) pictures not to clear be defo not there! so carb choice if replacing on a VV model is a white elepant!

Offline Tainted-Meat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 08:28:24 PM »
i got sale on pink if you want

mind the blue mice are giving me hell  :lol: