Author Topic: weekend of maintenence  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Boom-Boom

• Board Regular!
weekend of maintenence
« on: January 09, 2006, 05:43:19 PM »
Spent the weekend doing maintenence on my '91 B4.

CDI : I replaced the 4 main caps about a year ago and the bike has been running great since then.  I went ahead and replaced the 5th cap (marked C4 on the board) just to make sure it doesn't fail at a bad time.

Carbs : Drained the tank and put in fresh gas.  Also found my fuel line was slightly pinched between the breather cover and tank.  Disassembled my carbs and managed to strip the head on one float bowl screw so I relpaced all of them w/ socket head cap screws.  I'm glad I had a screw extractor.  Sprayed the carbs down w/ carb cleaner and brushed the insides and ran a thin wire through all the jets.  Blew everything out w/ my air compressor.  Checked the 0-rings, needles, and floats and put eveything back together.

Coils and plugs : Removed the spark plugs and brushed them clean.  Disassembled the wires and plug caps from the coil packs and reassembled them making sure the connections were tight. Checked resistance on primary and secondary coil windings.

Coolant : drained and refilled coolant w/ 50/50 Prestone and distilled water.

Valve adjustment : Removed coolant hoses and cylinder head cover.  The manual says to remove the radiator, too, but I can get the valve cover off w/ the radiator in place.  Removed all the gasket sealant from the valve cover gasket and checked the condition of the gasket.  Rotated the cams to the correct timing positions and adjusted the intake valves w/ a .005" feeler guage and the exhaust valves w/ a .007" feeler guage.  BTW, the square head valve adjustment screw is the same size as an SQ2 square socket driver (kinda hard to find, tho).  Re-torqued the cylinder head nuts according to the manual, but couldn't get to nuts 3&4 (labeled in the service manual) because they were obstructed by a tube so I left those 2 alone.  Used new gasket sealer on the gasket and replaced the valve cover.  Used a little gasket sealer on the valve cover bolt gaskets and torqued the bolts down according to the manual.

Put everything back together and after a minute of cranking to fill the float bowls, she beltched some black smoke and started up.  Let her warm up w/ a little choke then turned off the choke and adjusted the idle speed screw to a little over 1K RPM.

Then I took a well deserved ride in the beautiful 70deg Dallas weather.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
weekend of maintenence
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 08:20:22 PM »
NICE job.   :banana:

You're making me feel bad for having my bike apart all over my garage for the last 3 months.  :banghead:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
weekend of maintenence
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 10:57:04 PM »
rob we would work good together bro ! :stickpoke:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
weekend of maintenence
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 11:18:06 PM »
You two and my mechanic would probally get along -real- well.  :roll:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
weekend of maintenence
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 12:01:45 AM »
Don't feel bad. You guys are still ahead of me. I haven't even taken anything apart and its already mid January!  :shock:
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Boom-Boom

• Board Regular!
weekend of maintenence
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 01:32:18 PM »
I didn't mean to make you guys feel bad.  I'd rather be riding than wrenching, but I think I saved quite a bit of money doing it myself.  My local Suz dealer quoted me $200 IIRC to clean and rebuild the carbs.  Probably more to do the valve adjustment.  I spent $5 for the gasket sealer, $2 for the carb cleaner, and $2 for the replacement float bowl screws.

Weather changed so it was a cold ride into work this morning, but the B4 was purring like a kitten.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
weekend of maintenence
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 01:47:27 PM »
I actually could have even ridden this week up here.  Very mild temps.  

Replacing those POS screws is a great idea.  I should have done that myself when I tore apart and reassembled my carbs (yes, I did get that much done this winter!).  I need to get over my anxiety of wiring those new headlights and get the tank creamed.  NOW, I need to repaint my new pipes and figure out a new exhaust cannister.  Luckily, I was worried my new carb config may have been too rich.  With the new pipe, it might be close.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7