Author Topic: Bandit 250 to 400 Engine Conversion  (Read 5600 times)

Offline Lugusto

• New user!
Bandit 250 to 400 Engine Conversion
« on: July 21, 2007, 01:14:11 PM »
Hi folks, i have a 1996 Susuki GSF Bandit 250.
Sadly it has somehow managed to bend one or more of its exhaust valve stems! The head uses a rocker system that has appeared to attempt to push down one of the said dodgy valves and has moved into "failsafe position" and is now just tapping on the valve springs causing the 4 valves on that cam to not open.

Now, i have attempted to come accross a compatible cylinder head from a 1995 onwards bike as the inlet manifold design was diffrerent on pre '95 models but have come up with nothing, i have also attempted to find a compatible engine of the correct vintage but have reached the same ends.

So i have been thinking that i could do a Bandit 400 engine conversion. I have found a few decent looking 400cc engines around the UK as there seen to be a lot more 400 Bandits in the UK than 250's.
I have a few reservations however, as to the fitting of my exhaust, carbs and airbox, with my main doubts being with the compatibility of various electrical components, i have a few questions regarding these compnents:

1. The generator attatchment on my loom consists of three seperate yellow wires attatching into three seperate plugs from the generator itself. Will the 400 engine have the same system of three wires that will be able to connect to my loom, and if they do will my regulator/rectifier and other components be able to take its current?

2. The 'signal generator' or 'ignition advancer' as it can be called (on the front right of the engine) connects to my loom with a 2 cable single connector. I presume this tells the ECU what timings the engine is running to and when it's to fire. Probably the most important question being then, will my ECU be compatible with a 400 engine and will it be able to fire at the correct timings for that engine?

3. Are there any other compatability issues folks have come accross that arent apparent to me?

I presume that the other engine-related electrics such as the rev counter and oil temp warning light should'nt be too much of a problem.
I think i should be able to physically fit the engine into my frame without too much trouble as it seems to mount in the same manner as my 250 engine.    

So then, if anyone who has done this conversion already or who knows what has to be done, and which version of 400 engine is best for potential transplant (i've seen a decent 1991 engine) i will be very grateful for your input.

Many thanks in advance, Luke.
:thanks:
1996 GSF 250 Bandit

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 02:30:38 PM »
Luke im almost positive there was someone doing this swap hopefully he will chime in on this one.
cheers
Jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 02:59:42 PM »
Generator is the same 3 wires so thats one problem out of your hands.

Offline Lugusto

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 03:54:13 PM »
Good, Thanks...  
Oh, looking at a 400 service manual i've got it doesnt seem like it matters where they go as each source end of the wires are attatched to a coil in the generator, so they're all the same.
Thats one problem that appears sorted!
1996 GSF 250 Bandit

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 04:24:30 PM »
It was echomadman. Here's the Link

He had a complete bike though. I'd assume you'd need the motor, carbs, CDI, and wiring harness. Cha-Ching...
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 08:07:48 PM »
I just bought a 400 wreck as a project bike.

If you need carbs and airbox, let me know. Doesn't have a CDI.

Offline Lugusto

• New user!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 11:32:14 AM »
I should think i'll be able to get my 250 carbs working with it, they're physically the same size and i could easily rejet if necessary, and obviously the airbox would then fit.

It's the ignition timing electrics that i'm bothered about...
1996 GSF 250 Bandit