Author Topic: Rain Problem  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
Rain Problem
« on: February 20, 2006, 10:46:16 AM »
Hi guys,

Since some weeks Belgium has it's trademark rains as well. I don't specificaly mind, were it not for one problem. My B4 acts like shit after some minutes in the shower. Almost all power and torque disappears, max speed is +-130km/h.
I'm thinking this could be a bad reinstallation of the intake boots, sucking false air. It might explain why it is running so damn lean...
I've read on another thread to check for false air with a mist of water around the carbs. I guess i'll do that, but first i'd like to let the bike dry out first, to get clear results (just came back from school).

[sigh] There's so much wrong with this bike, i'd like to fix it, but i cannot miss my only means of transportation for 1 day :sad: i hate public transportation!!
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Rain Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 10:54:22 AM »
Maybe it runs on 3 cylinders because there is water in a spark plug cap? Check that the rubbers are still in place and spray some grease on them.

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
Rain Problem
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 11:06:42 AM »
I have checked it last week, there was water in one of them (left one). I cleaned it out with pressure, sprayed some contact cleaner, then cleaned it out again. The day after, same shit happens.

I don't know how it sounds on 3cyl's, but mine did sound more rough, it was impossible to idle and backfiring occasionally.
It always backfired as 'last breath' if i didn't keep the throttle myself
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Rain Problem
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 02:36:31 PM »
take the plug caps off snip the ends of the wires so there is fresh wire get some dielectric grease aplly to wire screw caps back in place , if that doenst work buy new plugs to! :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.echomadman.com
Rain Problem
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 09:50:43 AM »
If your HT leads are old their insulation may be dried out and broken down, you can replace them (they screw out of the plug caps and coils), or for a quicker fix take off the tank, pull out the plug caps, and give the leads and coils a good spray of silicone grease, and let it dry on its a good waterproofer and a good insulator.

For the water in the plug holes , make sure the rubber at the top of the plug cap is down far enough on the cap that it fits into the hole well.

You can buy generic "fenda extendas" tha clip onto the back of the front mudguard to stop so much crap from being thrown up onth the engine, or make a temporary one yourself with a sheet of heavy plastic.

(they look like this)
1990 GSF250 Bandit (currently getting a gsxr400 engine transplant,
2000 SV650S

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
Rain Problem
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 10:05:42 AM »
I looked this morning to those caps and indeed, they look like they're a little too high, not 'in' but 'on top'.
And now i realize the backfiring can be an excellent symptom of running on 3 cylinders. I was thinking the backfiring might come from the water in the combustion. Shouldn't be possible. I'll do the spark plug stuff next time i have some time.
School certainly makes a person's life busy... but it's worth it everybody says   :wink:

Thanks to everybody for the help  :thanks:
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.echomadman.com
Rain Problem
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 10:07:46 AM »
the backfiring is the unburnt fuel from the cylinder with no spark igniting when it hits the hot sections of your exhaust. not water in the fuel mix.
1990 GSF250 Bandit (currently getting a gsxr400 engine transplant,
2000 SV650S

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
Rain Problem
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 03:25:24 PM »
indeed  :duh:

water in the mixture should only give steam, white clouds.. I should think, dammit. THINK!! :banghead:
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
Rain Problem
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 02:30:22 PM »
about replacing the ht leads, are the connections screwable or do i really need to order the oem leads?
My garage isn't sure about the coild-side of the leads, but the plug cap side is screwable according to the guy. I can get the leads for free so it would help my cash flow a lot if i could do it myself.

oww **** :duh:  . Aparently i read over this post from echomadman:
you can replace them (they screw out of the plug caps and coils)
Alex
B6 Rear Shock