Author Topic: How to clean petcock out?  (Read 11885 times)

Offline Odin1

• Board Regular!
How to clean petcock out?
« on: April 09, 2005, 04:59:57 PM »
Hello, to introduce myself (didn't see where to do that) I used to ride alot but had kids and sold my ninja about 10 years ago. Got an old GSF400 (truly) like new which I am getting running and ready to sell. It used to be the wife's. I might get back into riding with the way gas prices are going. Anyway, I will be around here for awhile until I get this Bandit running if you guys don't mind.

Anybody had trouble with their petcock clogging? Any ideas for cleaning it out? If it had screens I would have some idea, but this GSF400 petcock has plastic tubes with funky diaphrams on it. Any tips appreciated, guess I might check with my dealer and see if he can get me a new one. You 400 hounds keep your eyes open, when I get this thing running I am putting it on Cycle Trader online, it's a '93 bone stock with only 990 miles on it. Got the carbs all cleaned out I think but there is nothing coming from the tank. Thanks, Odin1

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 07:03:09 PM »
:welcome:

The petcock on these things are notorious for causing problems.  I've not heard of anyone have success fixing one.  They are still available from Suz.  'Bout $70.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 08:02:52 PM »
The "Welcome... INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE!!!" thread is in the General Motorcycle forum at the top of the board.

just click here for the thread.  :bigok:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Odin1

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 11:30:58 AM »
Thanks guys. Yup, I called my shop and they said they could order me one for $77. I figured I had nothing to lose on this one so I soaked it in carb cleaner overnight and plan to try to blow it out with air today just to see if I can get something thru it. Would be nice to get it running today as it is really sunny out here in Atlanta and I could blow it out a little on this dead end curvy road I live on. :( I should probably cut the grass instead anyway. I think everything else is in order so hopefully it will crank right up when I get some gas flowing down.

I rode for a long time but was always afraid to do my own maintenance. I am giving it a try now and really enjoying it to my surprise. I didn't used to have patience for this stuff but maybe getting older has its pros. I will let you know if I get it running any maybe I can get a pic up once I get her washed. Later, Odin1 :thanks:

Offline Odin1

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 03:52:34 PM »
OK, I got the petcock working good now but there is a gas leak now coming right from the carbs it appears. I guess the seals are gone in them as it sat for so many years. It still won't start, I was hoping it would anyway. I have a buddy who could rebuild them for me, I can't decide what I will do at this point. I will probably get his help to get it running now since I know I will get alot more for it running good. I was wrong, I looked and the odometer only has 790 miles on it. At least I know I fixed something on it and saved myself $77.  :grin: I am sure it will be downhill from here lol. Later, Odin1

Offline Odin1

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 03:57:39 PM »
^See my previous posts, but now I am wondering if it is possible the petcock IS shot and allowing too much gas to flow down? Is this possible? I don't really know how the thing works. Just my luck it's Sunday, you guys are all out riding.  :duh:

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 05:32:08 PM »
It's possible that the petcock is shot...

Most carburator cleaners say to remove all rubber and plastic components before soaking, since they will eat away those parts. It should be a simple enough check, just remove the hose from the petcock at the carbs and see if gas continues to flow even if the petcock is turned off. I'd also check to see if fuel is coming out of the vacuum feed line for the petcock.

If the bike was parked without the carburators being drained, it's also very possible that they are just all gummed up to the point that the floats aren't shutting off even once they are full.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 08:29:52 PM »
Even if the petcock is shot, fuel shouldn't get past the floats. If it does, then you have a problem in the float system. IE; float level set too high, sunk floats, bad float needle or seat...
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 08:54:31 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Even if the petcock is shot, fuel shouldn't get past the floats. If it does, then you have a problem in the float system. IE; float level set too high, sunk floats, bad float needle or seat...

My money's on bad o-rings...
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 09:32:02 PM »
I would have to agree with Rob.

If the o-rings around the float needle shaft are worn, gas will seep into the carb even though the needle valve is shut.

Nothing that a carb rebuild won't fix.

I'd also recomend changing your oil (or at least checking to see if it smells like gas). If the carb fills up too much it will puke gas into the cylinders and end up in your oil.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Odin1

• Board Regular!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 09:37:25 PM »
I was afraid you guys were going to say things like this LOL. Buy it now while I am down, I will give you a good deal.  :wink: I think the petcock is working right, I took out the plastic valve inside and as much guts as I could and just soaked the cylinder, I don't know what's inside that sealed drum part that I soaked. It all went back together and worked smoothly, it seems to be a one-way only deal. It is apparently flowing plenty of gas now. It doesn't have an off position, just ON & RES.

My buddy from work happens to be on vacation this week, I am going to try to get his cell # from his brother tomorrow. I will call him and see if he has time to come over and take a look at it. It's a long way between our places though, like 75 miles or more, we live on opposite sides of Atlanta.He has a little shop that he builds customs in, I will talk him into yanking the carbs and taking them back for a rebuild unless he wants to attempt it at my house LOL. Couple of beers should do the trick.  :beers: The adventure continues. Thanks for the help, don't hate me later when I attempt to break the all time record sale price for a used stock B4 LOL.

Offline TheKillerB

• Board Homesteader!
Just an fyi
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 12:16:38 AM »
I think Rob and the others are right, but just so you know, with the age of our bikes it seems that petcock failure is a common thing.  My bike was running poorly about a year ago and I decided to go for a ride to see if I just needed to burn off some old gas.  Well, 20 miles into the Angeles Forest here in So Cal, my Bandit died.  Turned out the petcock diaphragm was slowly tearing and it got to the point that so much fuel was dumping down the vent tube that only cyl 1 was getting fuel.  Needless to say I had to hitchhike to the bottom of the mountain (no cell service up there) and then find a truck to go get the bike.  I recall that someone else on the old board had a petcock go right around the same time.  So rebuild those carbs, get an oil change and prepare yourself for the possibility of needing a new petcock as well.

John

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 12:28:21 AM »
TKB, I think mine was around the same time as yours...

Real bugger of a thing. I didn't realize at the time that it was a vacuum driven unit, and that fuel would only flow when vacuum was applied to the petcock. Mine didn't get to the point that it wouldn't run, but it was nearly impossible to start without flooding and absolutely would -not- idle.

Simply put, with the petcock set to 'on' or 'res', no fuel should be flowing unless the engine is running. This could also be your problem, Odin. Is fuel getting into the carbs?

Here's a trick I tried with some success on my bike. Get four 20oz soda bottle lids, fill each halfway with fuel. Remove the airbox on the bike (leave gastank on and connected) and pour one each into the throat of each carburator. The bike -should- fire when you try to start it, it may rev up a bit, but it should fire off at the very least. Sorta like a defibulator for the motor, with any luck she'll start and keep running (don't use to much gas, and I -really- can't recommend Ethenol based 'starter fluids', I had a friend crack the cylinder head of an old dirtbike trying to start it that way).

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Odin1

• Board Regular!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 10:39:22 AM »
Thanks a bunch guys, that really helped. Since the motor is not running and gas is still flowing down the petcock must be shot. This makes sense, it's a long story, but basically my uncle took the carbs off and cleaned them a year ago. He put stabilized gas in it, it still wouldn't start and he had to leave town. He told me to put new plugs in it and it should crank right up, but I didn't and it sat for a year. Before the petcock trouble I just put new plugs in it and drained the float bowls, nice clear gas came out of them. I think the carbs may be OK and hopefully it's just the petcock.

I posted in the FOR SALE/WANTED section, there is a guy there looking for a B4 in the SE. I told him he could have it AS IS today for $2250. This price stands if any of you want it too, this price is good for today only pretty much as when I get off work today I will go by the shop and order the petcock, once I have done that I will be going through with fixing it up and trying to get top dollar for it. I think I will get at least $2500 for it as it pretty much looks brand new and has less than 800 miles on it. Thanks for all your help, I will let you know how it goes. Regards, Odin1

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 11:54:46 PM »
Quote from: "Maniac"
TKB, I think mine was around the same time as yours...

Real bugger of a thing. I didn't realize at the time that it was a vacuum driven unit, and that fuel would only flow when vacuum was applied to the petcock. Mine didn't get to the point that it wouldn't run, but it was nearly impossible to start without flooding and absolutely would -not- idle.

Simply put, with the petcock set to 'on' or 'res', no fuel should be flowing unless the engine is running. This could also be your problem, Odin. Is fuel getting into the carbs?

Here's a trick I tried with some success on my bike. Get four 20oz soda bottle lids, fill each halfway with fuel. Remove the airbox on the bike (leave gastank on and connected) and pour one each into the throat of each carburator. The bike -should- fire when you try to start it, it may rev up a bit, but it should fire off at the very least. Sorta like a defibulator for the motor, with any luck she'll start and keep running (don't use to much gas, and I -really- can't recommend Ethenol based 'starter fluids', I had a friend crack the cylinder head of an old dirtbike trying to start it that way).

thats a good way to catch your shit on fire if it backfires wich thewy do alot :duh:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol