Author Topic: Caution to the wind, I'll replace the cam chain myself!  (Read 4650 times)

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Caution to the wind, I'll replace the cam chain myself!
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 01:46:57 PM »
$65.00 including shipping and it would need adjusted when it makes noise  i adjust mine twice a season  :beers: yes i ship everywhere
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 03:06:51 PM »
Took the valve cover off last night and applied vernier calipers to the cam chain.  Following the service manual closely, I measured 20 pins on the chain, 137.89 mm.  The service limit is a whopping 143 mm, I'm well within spec.  Coincidently the top cam chain guide was well worn.  WTF?  I'm replacing that guide and ordering one of the manual can chain tensioners.  (FYI, the other two guides were in excellent condition)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 02:38:13 AM »
Quote from: "duane"
I'm well within spec.  Coincidently the top cam chain guide was well worn.  WTF?  I'm replacing that guide and ordering one of the manual can chain tensioners.  (FYI, the other two guides were in excellent condition)

hmm,.. lookin like there might be a camchain for sale in the for sale section in the near future, eh?

If IIRC, in our tear down:

1. The cases -must- be split.
2.  How good are your calipers?  That's what kicked us in the butt.  There's a chance they're not accurate enough if it's a cheapie pair. (Just a hint so others can learn from our mistake.)
3. The side guides, IIRC, put pressure on the chain, the top one, not as much.   So if the chain were loose, it would flap more against the top than the sides, causing impact wear?
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works