Author Topic: sv650 wheel crossover?  (Read 3370 times)

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
sv650 wheel crossover?
« on: October 05, 2006, 09:43:04 PM »
I'm looking to put the SV's fork legs into my B4's triples. Which I hear go right in, 41mm if I remember. In turn I want to run the dual front brakes, I was wondering if I need to get the SV wheel as well, or can I just use my current front wheel and take out the right hand spacer? No matter if I need to buy one, just would like to know before I take it all apart. And I’d like to get my current wheels (if the front is usable); I’d like to get them powder coated. Which leads me to another question (I have many). Can I use SV wheels in the back? And if not, what can I use? I’d like to get another set of wheels powder coated so I can just swap them out (I hate down time).

Regards,
Steve
"When people who should have known better cautioned me about the dangers of motorcycle racing, I always told them that a fear of death is nothing more than a fear of life in disguise."

--Nick Voge

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
sv650 wheel crossover?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 11:36:34 PM »
no idea but keep us posted
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
sv650 wheel crossover?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 11:43:47 PM »
Quote from: gsxr400 racer
no idea but keep us posted

Will do, I'm trying to pick up a full SV front end here shortly.

Steve
"When people who should have known better cautioned me about the dangers of motorcycle racing, I always told them that a fear of death is nothing more than a fear of life in disguise."

--Nick Voge

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
sv650 wheel crossover?
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 06:15:03 AM »
You're looking for "plug and play", right?  The SV front wheel is wider and might (probably) screw up the spacing of the bandit trips.  Theif400, I think used the Bandit wheel with his Kat f/e and just pulled the cover off the left side and tapped it for the rotor.  Another reason to use the B wheel in front is the speedo pickup.  I doubt it's the same on an SV.  You'd need an alternative (bicycle) speedo. For the rear, I'll bet you'd at least need to have custom spacers made.  I almost tried that on mine but then ran into other "projects".  The SV wheels are much lighter.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
sv650 wheel crossover?
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 10:36:45 AM »
Hey Steve,
You're going down the road I went down, and if you're looking for a straight swap, I think you're out of luck. Maybe the route with the least fabrication involved would be a complete swap with SV triples, forks, wheel, calipers. IF you could press out the stem and install the B4 stem ( I have NO idea if you can do this ) all you would need to make are some brakets for the clocks, and other small stuff.
What I DO know about is swapping to SV forks while keeping the B4 triples. As Rob said, the SV fork spacing is (IIRC about 1cm) wider than the B4. If you keep the SV wheel, the calipers are too far inboard for the rotor spacing, and the axle is too long so will need to be modified, the wheel spacers may need to be modified, the caliper mounts need to be modified, and you lose the speedo drive. If you keep the bandit wheel, the rotors are slightly more inboard, but still not lined up with the calipers, so you still need to modify the caliper mounts. In addition, the SV axle is larger than the B4 axle, and incredibly, you cannot get bearings for the B4 wheel to fit the SV axle, so you need to either fab a custom axle to fit all this, or modify the left SV fork leg to accept the B4 axle.
Have I scared you off yet?
 :lol:
1991 B4

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
sv650 wheel crossover?
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 12:15:43 PM »
Wow, what a mess. Too bad you had to find all of that out the hard way, but thank you for sharing it with us.  It's what makes this board so useful.

Duane

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
sv650 wheel crossover?
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 12:38:26 PM »
You will also have two different looking rims :stickpoke:

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
sv650 wheel crossover?
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 06:35:40 PM »
Quote from: Herr Tod
You will also have two different looking rims :stickpoke:

But they look very similar. But I definately would want to use the rear. Just to say I could. But as it seems, it's almost too much work. Unless someone knows just how much lighter the SV wheels are...it might not be worth the work involved. Considering they are the same size. And with that amount of work, I'm sure one could use a GSX-R wheelset, with even more weight savings. Not sure, I'm up in the air, but i'd definately like to add some more braking to my scoot, it's good, but I want more!  :grin:

Steve

--Nick Voge