Author Topic: Ignition switch number  (Read 3807 times)

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Ignition switch number
« on: October 01, 2005, 01:13:01 PM »
Hey guys.  I lost my key for my b4  wednesday and have been looking for it almost non stop since then with no luck.  I called the dealer and they told me to get the number of the ignition and they "might" be able to make a key for it.  Does anyone know where that number is and if I will have detach the ignition from the tree clamp?
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Ignition switch number
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 01:21:40 PM »
It may be cheaper to get a new cylinder with new keys, if available.
  Might be cost effective, even if it's a little more expensive than having the key made up......since the bike isn't exactly new.
  The 400 guys may be able to tell you what fits....
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Ignition switch number
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 01:24:31 PM »
Yeah but could I get all the locks replaced for the same key?
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Ignition switch number
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 01:35:42 PM »
Bike Bandit shows the lock sets for a 91 400, but they ain't cheap! :shock: Looks like the ignition is over 80 bucks, and the seat is 50.
  I guess there's no guarantee they'll be keyed the same.
  A blank replacement key is $15.
  Maybe a 400 guy knows about the ignition numbers....

(didn't know the lock sets were so expensive...) :duh:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Ignition switch number
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 02:17:39 PM »
Well after doing some research it seems that can get one keyed for $25 online by code number at http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/.  But I have to get the top tree clamp off first.  The manual says it requires a special tool (everything seems to require a special tool) to take off the stem head nut but would a socket work and if so what size is it?
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Ignition switch number
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 07:27:11 PM »
Finally got the tree fork off.  You need a 30 mm socket for future reference.  I took the ignition (clamp and all) to a local suzuki dealer and they told me I needed to take off the tamper proof bolts to get the number they needed.  But instead of doing that they suggested that I got to a local lock smith that can laser the lock and make one for around $15.  I don't know if this is true or not because by the time I got there the place was closed.  I will go monday and find of for sure.  

Man I am having bandit withdraws.  I miss riding my bike and it has only been 3 days.  I am glad it doesn't get too cold here during the winter.
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Ignition switch number
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 06:51:57 PM »
Bah, don't mention winter.... the up side is I get a few months to work on my bike without cutting into riding time.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Ignition switch number
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 08:51:03 PM »
Yeah  middle East Texas hardly ever sees any frozen precipatant and doesn't stay below freezing for long.  If we do get any no one knows how to drive on it so it is safer to stay home.
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Ignition switch number
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 09:38:14 PM »
UPDATE.

Well no such laser thing exists atleast at the lock shop I went to.  They had to do it the old fashion, which is insert key and turn until a mark is created and then notch out that mark.  I works great for the ignition but not so well for the gas tank and the seat lock.  I can eventually get the gas tank open and I have yet to get the seat open.  

It cost me around $36 to get it made but I got a deal,  the guy told me that they normally charge a minimum of $45 to do that kind of stuff.  

Anyway I just thought I would let ya'll know.  Go get a copy made of your key so you won't have to worry about this kind of stuff.
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Ignition switch number
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 12:45:56 AM »
Another thing to look out for is cracking of the original suzuki keys... both of mine cracked, but luckily I saw the cracks before they broke off in the ignition or gas tank! I've heard of other people that weren't that lucky.

The keys I had cut seem to be better quaility then the originals...
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.