Author Topic: Steel Braid Brake Lines?  (Read 2939 times)

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
Steel Braid Brake Lines?
« on: July 02, 2011, 01:02:18 PM »
I'm thinking of getting stainless brake lines for my '91 Bandit 400.  There are 3 lines, 2 in front and 1 in back.  Has anyone already spec'd out the lengths and fittings needed?  Also any US sources that are good?  There's a Canadian source that saturates eBay which looks okay maybe.

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
Re: Steel Braid Brake Lines?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 12:37:35 PM »
hi
i use hel   sometime ago now, and i believe i sent my old lines in to them due to at the time they did't have set for the bandit 400, although at the time the ones sent were bit short and didn't wear well, with forks movement,etc  :duh:.

but no problem.. when i rang them.. Just sent me a new full set without any charge.. the problem i believe was that when they measured the old lines they forgot to take in too account that the new end fittings were smaller then the old fittings.

Don't use aluminium end fittings.. see link

http://helperformance.com/info/aluminium-fittings.php

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:34:03 PM »
Yeah, never mix metals without some sacrificial zincs, learned that on boats.  Thanks.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:30:48 AM »
You'll have to do what I did: use a cloth tape and measure.

I then went to the moto shop and just used their off the shelf modular tubing and fittings (can't remember the brand, but can picture it in my head) to make my hose. It's been through three track days and five years, so yes it works. I also bypassed the splitter on the triple so it's a straight shot from the pump to the caliper.

Not as necessary on the rear brake but I have one just because I got a smoking deal on it. It will make the rear brake more touchy so keep that in mind.