Author Topic: Two questions  (Read 3178 times)

Offline erict716

• Board Homesteader!
Two questions
« on: July 27, 2006, 04:49:32 PM »
Just got a 92 400 three week ago and I have been having two problems since the first day I rode it.  First, the tach is not working.  Is this common and what issues cause this? Second, a fuse keeps blowing.  If you are standing on the kick stand side of the bike looking down at the fuse box, it is the fuse that is nearest to you in the right corner.  What can cause this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated, becuase I love riding this bike, when it doesnt blow fuses.  Oh in when it blows the bike dies.  its happened twice since I've owned the bike, but hasnt done it in a little more than a week.

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Two questions
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 07:06:26 PM »
The Tach is electrically driven, and may actually be the cause of your fuse blowing. Try unhooking it's wiring harness and see what happens.

Voltage regulators are also a common cause of trouble on the 400, I never had a problem with mine, but I know of a few people who did.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline erict716

• Board Homesteader!
Two questions
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 07:16:36 PM »
is there a place to get a new tach? from the harness back? or is a SOL

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
Two questions
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 04:16:36 PM »
Dunno if you can get a "new' Tach, but keep an eye on Ebay. Occasionally one will pop up. It's possible that you may just have poor connections or a dead short in the harness, so check it over for corrosion and the like before you scrap it.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Re: Two questions
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 03:31:02 PM »
Second, a fuse keeps blowing.  If you are standing on the kick stand side of the bike looking down at the fuse box, it is the fuse that is nearest to you in the right corner.  What can cause this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated, becuase I love riding this bike, when it doesnt blow fuses.  Oh in when it blows the bike dies.

The fuse on the right is the "main fuse" right?  25A?  Try here for some troubleshooting:  http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=6388

If it's the fuse I'm thinking of, it's responsible for the ignition (and the RR), hence the reason it dies.

If it appears to be charging system related, i.e. the RR, also use this once the bike is running:   http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_fault_finding.html You'd be amazed how often it -looks- like a part failure, but it's actually a bad connection.

The other thing you can do, since the tach doesn't work anyway, is to disconnect the tach from the harness, and see if that fixes your fuse problem.  That will tell you if it's the tach causing it.

There might also be a possibility of getting an aftermarket tach.  I'm not sure though, I haven't looked.  I know some of the dual sport conversions have these "pods" that you can buy that do it all, tach, speedo (much more accurately than the OEM speedo too) and more.

You can also get in touch with some of the members that are parting bikes out.  They can likely help you.  I don't think the tach is a common point of failure on the B4.  CDIs and RRs on the other hand...
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline erict716

• Board Homesteader!
Two questions
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 09:18:18 AM »
Ok I did the fault finding and nothing was found.  And the bike hasnt died in a long time.  Amazingly it died last night.  I honked my horn as I drove by a buddy of mine, and the horn sounded like it was dieing.  Five minutes later I honked it again to see if it would work and it was so quite i could barely hear it, and then boom the bike jerks and dies..   Could there be a short in the horn wiring causing the bike to blow a fuse and die?

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
Two questions
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 11:48:01 AM »
Quote from: erict716
I honked my horn as I drove by a buddy of mine, and the horn sounded like it was dieing.  Five minutes later I honked it again to see if it would work and it was so quite i could barely hear it, and then boom the bike jerks and dies..   Could there be a short in the horn wiring causing the bike to blow a fuse and die?

Sounds like your battery died, how old is the battery anyway? I'm at work now, when I get home I'll look in my manual and find the procedure for testing the Voltage Regulator.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline erict716

• Board Homesteader!
Two questions
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 12:06:59 PM »
i bought the bike july 2nd....and the guy a purchased it from said the battery is new.  When i get home (since it was pouring today when i drove to work) i will check to see if there is a date on it to see how new it really is.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Two questions
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 02:38:40 PM »

Sounds like your battery died, how old is the battery anyway? I'm at work now, when I get home I'll look in my manual and find the procedure for testing the Voltage Regulator.

The fault finding diagram that I gave him should have tested the Voltage Regulator.  The battery does sound like it's dead.  The bottom of test does say if all of the tests have passed, then it has to be the battery, replace it and retest.   Perhaps you can borrow a known good battery before you invest in another one?   The main thing to find out though, is why it's going dead.  Is it a bad battery, or is something in the charging system faulty?

That fuse hasn't blown since though?  It seems odd to blow the main a couple of times, then no more.  That says to me that there's a bare wire somewhere that occasionally moves into the "wrong" position and pops that fuse.  The wiring on the RR would be a really good place to start with that one.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline erict716

• Board Homesteader!
Two questions
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 08:37:02 AM »
its not the 24 amp fuse

its a 10 amp

Front of bike
----------------
|  10         10|
|                  |
|                  |
|10           25|
----------------

the bottom left fuse is the one that is blowing

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Two questions
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 01:08:23 PM »
its not the 24 amp fuse

its a 10 amp
<snip>

the bottom left fuse is the one that is blowing

OK, so what does the owner's manual or the service manual say that fuse is responsible for?  That should point you in the direction of what's likely a bare wire.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390