Author Topic: carbs  (Read 5894 times)

Offline sukizuki

• Board Regular!
  • Let's go Mr Driver
carbs
« on: November 13, 2007, 04:24:39 PM »
Hi. are the carbs from the different model 400 bandits and the Izuma interchangeable? I know us ones had smaller carbs.Mine is a 400v red top 92 Japanese import.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: carbs
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 05:47:21 PM »
you have a wire comming from your carb which is connected to a throttle position sensor?
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline sukizuki

• Board Regular!
  • Let's go Mr Driver
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:22:53 PM »
dunno, carbs were missing  :lol:  it's a 92 GK75A bought a set off flee bay for £18  :motorsmile:
If they have a TPS are they all compatible? and are all non TPS carbs the same? (except 32mm ones)  :thanks:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 07:16:36 PM »
.Mine is a 400v red top 92 Japanese import.
this is the key thing here, as these are variable valve models and require (now dont quote me on this) a TPS to aid in conjunction with the variable valve timing in making the thing do it timing gig at the appropriate time. All i know is they are a different animal when in relation to head, carbs, and electrics.
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline sukizuki

• Board Regular!
  • Let's go Mr Driver
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 08:32:44 PM »
this is the key thing here, as these are variable valve models and require (now dont quote me on this) a TPS to aid in conjunction with the variable valve timing in making the thing do it timing gig at the appropriate time. All i know is they are a different animal when in relation to head, carbs, and electrics.

:thanks: My BF is a bike mechanic - he says your right  :clap: Just hope the one off Ebay has the TPS   :roll:  Are the carb bodies the same? - As in, could I swap out the left carb body for a TPS one?

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 09:21:31 PM »
yet to be known is if they are 33 or 32mm carbs, the bodies from b4 to b4vv should be the same as long as they stay in their respected range.

Offline sukizuki

• Board Regular!
  • Let's go Mr Driver
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 12:54:35 PM »
now been told of 2 people with VV400's and no tps... also a russian (i think?) guy said tps was only on the later models of VV400's... the plot thickens.. :idea:

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 01:02:36 PM »
In theory you should be fine, TPS or not.

TPS: throttle position sensor. Tells the computer where the butterflies are to meter accordingly. Should only matter if the bike needs this, unless otherwise, it's along for the ride. The sensor is external of the carb.

-Randy

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 01:41:06 PM »

TPS: throttle position sensor. Tells the computer where the butterflies are to meter accordingly. Should only matter if the bike needs this, unless otherwise, it's along for the ride. The sensor is external of the carb.

-Randy
100%agree

Offline sukizuki

• Board Regular!
  • Let's go Mr Driver
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 01:48:15 PM »

-Randy

So the TPS doesn't tell the CDI or solenoids when the cams should cut in? not linked to the VV system?

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 01:49:59 PM »
with a model that was supposed to have tps it would all be linked together

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »
It does.

But if your bandit isn't equipped to read the TPS or is before the TPS was introduced, then no.

Let's put it this way:

-Carbs have TPS plug and CDI has a TPS plug: you need it
-Carbs have TPS plug and CDI doesn't have TPS plug: Doesn't matter

-Don't have TPS on carbs but CDI does: you need it

Sizing for carbs outside of the US (IIRC) is 33mm. Apparantly, only the US got the 32mm version.

If your bike does not have a TPS sensor, it isn't going to matter what carbs you run, 33 or 32.

Offline sukizuki

• Board Regular!
  • Let's go Mr Driver
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 02:01:56 PM »
It does.

But if your bandit isn't equipped to read the TPS or is before the TPS was introduced, then no.

Let's put it this way:

Sizing for carbs outside of the US (IIRC) is 33mm. Apparantly, only the US got the 32mm version.

If your bike does not have a TPS sensor, it isn't going to matter what carbs you run, 33 or 32.

Thanks, I'd got that far already... just never got carbs with the bike, and the ones I bought (listed as GK75A same model as mine) don't have TPS. so I'm still unsure of whether I need TPS carbs... looked at a normal 400, and a 97VV bandit wiring diagrams but no TPS or cam solenoids shown on either.  Appreciate all the help guys  :thanks: :beers:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 02:02:59 PM »
It does.

Let's put it this way:

Here you mean wire harness!

Correct! :beers:

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 03:12:34 PM »
It does.

Let's put it this way:

Thanks, I'd got that far already... just never got carbs with the bike, and the ones I bought (listed as GK75A same model as mine) don't have TPS. so I'm still unsure of whether I need TPS carbs... looked at a normal 400, and a 97VV bandit wiring diagrams but no TPS or cam solenoids shown on either.  Appreciate all the help guys  :thanks: :beers:

The bike should still run on those carbs without the tps even if it isnt meant to have it. So you could get it running on those and see if the bike is dead at top end revs or not. If it is dead you'll need to get a set of carbs with tps. Or if your boyfriend is good he may be able to bypass the vv system and get it to run on the high lift part of the cam all the time.