Author Topic: New Fender Seems Low  (Read 3098 times)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
New Fender Seems Low
« on: September 24, 2005, 04:52:34 PM »
When I was at the shop, I noticed the new fender on the bike was closer to the wheel than the previous one, specifically at the front. It was ~1/4-1/2 inch above the wheel in the front.

I'm not sure why this is. The fender is new from Suzuki, as is it's metal mount. Could it be because I had progressive springs put on? I can't imagine why this would make any difference, but something is putting the fender closer to the wheel.

The shop guy doesn't think this is anything to be concerned about because the wheel has clearance, but I just can't figure out why this is. Any ideas :?:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
New Fender Seems Low
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 10:48:11 PM »
Perhaps the location of the mounting holes isn't consistant between the old and new fenders?

FWIW - My B12, as well as all the B6's & B12's I've seen have pretty tight clearance with the front tire. I've never measured it, but I'd say they run closer to 1/4" than 1/2" - especially at the front.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline TheKillerB

• Board Homesteader!
New Fender Seems Low
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 12:37:28 AM »
Sounds a little unusual.  Mine has pretty good clearance as you can see in this picture.  
Here are a couple of things you may want to check:

1) Make sure the metal bracket bolts on above the forks' mounting tabs, not below, which I'm sure it probably is (can't imagine the shop would mount it below).  If it is this way, try

2) Removing the bracket and fender, separating the fender from the bracket, and turning the braket around so that what was facing back toward your radiator is now pointing forward.  I think the bracket appears to be relatively symetrical, but may have a slight angle from back to front.  If it's on backward, it may be pitching the fender forward.

If neither of these helps, I'll keep scratching my head (which really won't do much good in terms of helping you).

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
New Fender Seems Low
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 07:55:06 PM »
I gotta check again, but looking at your shot, I think they put the fender on backwards. The bracket may be on backwards too.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
New Fender Seems Low
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 09:05:43 PM »
I can't imagine the fender being on backwards - the thing that holds the speedo cable is in the back, right????

I'd guess the brace is on bacwards.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline TheKillerB

• Board Homesteader!
New Fender Seems Low
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 11:24:51 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
I can't imagine the fender being on backwards - the thing that holds the speedo cable is in the back, right????

I'd guess the brace is on bacwards.

I'm with you Rob.  The rubber cable guide is indeed in the back (even if the guide is missing, the hole is there) and the fender sweeps in front of the fork legs...I can't imagine a shop putting the fender itself on backwards.  :duh:

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
New Fender Seems Low
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 11:42:42 AM »
I don't really remember if it is on backwards, just an assumption on my part. I'll have to call 'em tomorrow on this.