Author Topic: Bandit 400 rear shock wanted  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Bagwell

• Board Regular!
Bandit 400 rear shock wanted
« on: March 20, 2009, 11:15:51 AM »
I sure could use a GSXR750 rear shock or some other suitable replacement for my Bandit 400.  I kinda like the fact that the GSXR7's shock has the threaded adj for preload and seperate reservoir and is about the right extra length to raise the rear just right.  I have kept an eye on EBay, but either the unit has been in less than desirable shape or has gone quickly.  I sold one of these shocks many years ago after I had gotten rid of my bigger bandit and now I am kicking myself.  :)
95 VFR750
89 NT650
99 WR400
92 GSF400

Offline Bagwell

• Board Regular!
Re: Bandit 400 rear shock wanted
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 03:09:12 AM »
Thats SWEET!!!  I have just bid on a GSXR750 shock though so we will see.  I sure would love to have the Works unit though.  :) 
95 VFR750
89 NT650
99 WR400
92 GSF400

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 10:39:42 AM »
I'll tell you this much, I'd rather have a shock purpose built to the application rather than adapting something to fit.

I've done it twice myself with an older GSXR1100 unit and now with an 08 gsxr600 setup and there are still compromises. With the 1100 shock, I had to run a ton of preload to get my sag where I wanted it and with the 08 shock, there isn't enough rebound damping once the shock gets hot especially when I was at the track. Mind you, I'm a whopping 170 in leathers. Of course both needed some modding to fit into the bike.

At least with that you know the rates match the stroke and damping and it even looks like the ride height is adjustable. I just wished I had the money to justify it.

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 02:13:02 PM »
Question:
What type of front end work would be needed to 'match' that Works shock?

I have a Fox that I believe will work with mine and just wanted to know if it's a MUST to do the front end at the same time (for safety reasons).
Thanks.

Best of luck with the shock shopping Bagwell
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 11:25:14 PM »
To match a good shock: at least springs, oil and if you can swing it, emulators.

If you're light enough, you can generally do springs and oil but really the whole package is a revelation in comparison to stock and springs and oil. You can get by modding the stock springs and using PVC spacers and thicker oil, better but not a match for a good shock in back.

I know I was really wondering why I didn't install the emulators sooner (since they were sitting on my desk for a couple of weeks) after my first ride with them in. You'll feel the most difference under brakes when the front end doesn't nosedive and sharp edged bumps don't make your hands go numb.

Offline VW_NUT

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 03:05:36 PM »
It may not be the perfect upgrade, but a stock set of Ducati Monster fork springs work pretty decent.  I am sure someone on the monster forums would give you a stock set for free or the price of shipping. 

They may not be perfect, but price (free) was right and they are stiffer than the originals.  I had to cut down the stock spacers, but otherwise they drop right in.