Author Topic: ethanol fuel  (Read 2106 times)

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
ethanol fuel
« on: May 14, 2006, 01:29:02 AM »
i know it might be in the wrong place but seeing that i found this conterdiction(sP?) in this forum i thought it would be best to talk to you guys about it. some one had mentioned that ethanol fuels had lower octane rating then the fuel it was add to. but i dont think this is true because ethanol has an octane rating of 113 and i dont know what you usa'er have for pump gas but here in canada we dont have anything higher then 113.  also red01 said that it does not perform as well as regualer high octane fuel. which again i think is wrong to because of the fact that the ethanol is adding extra oxygen because of the fact that it is an alcohol and they have hydroxides in them. and we all know that more oxygen means more complete compustion. which in turn makes a bigger boom... which would make me think that they would infact give off better performance. ps....i am studying for my big chem test on monday so this really helped me.
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline Ronrdrcr

• Board Homesteader!
ethanol fuel
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 02:25:04 AM »
The National Association of Fleet Administrators publishes comparisons between various fuel types using British thermal units, or Btu, which is an energy measurement. It says regular unleaded gasoline has 114,100 Btu per gallon, while E-85 fuel has 81,800 Btu, or 28 percent less.

From Here

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/14547820.htm
2006 Kawaasaki Z1000, Corbin seats, CRG mirrors, clear alternatives smoked taillight, Metzler M3 tires, and even more smiles!!!
92 Bandit 400
going to the wifey

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
ethanol fuel
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 03:03:49 AM »
hmmm well that is 85 persent ethanol which i didnt even think that it was sold. well i fuel i was talking about was in this thread http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=5277. i dont know if she used 85%. but it make sence that the 85% has less btu because it has far less intermolcular forces then the standard gasoline hydrocarbon. i was more thinking about 10% ethenol fuel which is readly avaible at the local esso station. i could see this having a higher performance "rating" then normal gas because i think having to much ethenol is a bad thing for performance...
Kev
GSXR 400