Author Topic: different timing disks  (Read 26087 times)

Offline t6nis

• Board Homesteader!
different timing disks
« on: April 23, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »
Hi,

i have a question about the different timing disks. As u can see on the picture, there are two different disks. I was forced to change the crankshaft on my bandit and i didnt check the timing disks. Now when the bike is put together, i have a question that would it work, or would the ignition and fuel timing be off? I mean that i just have to try another CDI? i have a spare one laying around, it just needs some cap changes.

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
Re: different timing disks
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 03:42:24 PM »
Interesting...

I've been wondering about this situation for a while because when I disassembled my 1992 Bandit 400 this past October I found that the engine had a timing disk that is configured with 1 long tooth, 3 medium teeth and 2 small teeth (the one you show in the right-hand picture of your post).  I was expecting to find the timing disk with 1 long tooth and 5 medium teeth (the one you show in the left-hand picture of your post). 

I didn't even know that there were two different types of timing disks for the GSF400.  The Service Manual doesn't even mention or show the disk with 1 long tooth, 3 medium teeth and 2 small teeth (at least not in the main body of the document... maybe this difference is mentioned in a special service supplement to the original Service Manual that I don't have).

I've got one of each of these two timing disks here in my garage.  I have the version with 1 long tooth, 3 medium teeth and 2 small teeth because that's what came on my Bandit, and I have the version with 1 long tooth and 5 medium teeth because I bought it off of Ebay.   I plan to use the 1 long tooth and 5 medium teeth version in my fuel injection project.

Your post of the two pictures of the two types of rotor is very interesting and informative because it includes the applicable generation of CDI box to be used with it.  In all of my searching on the subject I've never been able to come up with that information.

I measured the angle between the woodruff keyway cut and the Top-Dead-Center timing mark on both of the rotors with a protractor and it's the same for both: 95 degrees.  So there's no difference in the basic timing of the rotors.  But because there's a significant difference between the location of the teeth on these two rotors the CDIs would have to contain different programming (not interchangeable at all).

Which "timing disk" are you going to use?  (by the way, my Suzuki GSF400 Bandit Service Manual calls it a "Signal Generator Rotor")  Are you going to use the rotor that goes with the CDI 32900-10D50 and 32900-10D60 (the 1 long tooth, 3 medium teeth and 2 small teeth version)? 

I ask because I've got the CDI box for that rotor and I don't need it.  You can have it.

I know that the CDI box I have works with the 1 long tooth, 3 medium teeth and 2 small teeth version of the rotor because the bike ran fine before I took it apart this past fall.  Just now I went to the garage and looked at the CDI box and found that the only marking on the outside of it is the number "58" printed on the bottom of the smaller of the two wiring plug connections.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:59:29 PM by greg737 »

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 04:03:07 PM »
  i have a question that would it work, or would the ignition and fuel timing be off?

there is no "fuel timing" on a carbureted engine.  that only matters on a fuel injected engine.

Offline t6nis

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 04:33:52 PM »
the whole picture looks like this

Offline bandit dk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »
I am pretty sure that number 1 is equal to the one fittet in my vc model

Offline g0dlik3

• First Post! Be Gentle!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 05:21:28 AM »
There is a difference between connections of these CDI boxes. For older models with CDI codes 32900-10D00 and 32900-10D20 "Pick up GND" is on connnection 7 and "Pick up Signal" is on connection 8!

On newer models with CDI codes 32900-10D50 and 32900-10D60 these connections are swapped ....."Pick up GND" is on connnection 8 and "Pick up Signal" is on connection 7!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:27:18 AM by g0dlik3 »