Author Topic: Hey Guys from a New B4 Owner!  (Read 2578 times)

Offline MasterM3

• Board Homesteader!
Hey Guys from a New B4 Owner!
« on: February 06, 2006, 05:05:55 PM »
Hey guys,

Just picked up my first bike. I bought a 91 GSF400 with 27k miles. Previous owner took great care of the bike. I've got a few questions,

1) Has anyone replaced the stock mirrors? They seem to provide very little visibility which bothers me a bit especially since I'm a squid.

2) I'm looking for a D&D exhaust for the bike. I know they are quite loud, but I'm used to it and I like the idea of other cars knowing I'm there. I saw a post where someone had a CF d&d but i didn't see the model number. Are any modifications required to install?

3) I noticed that when I start up the bike with the Choke, the bike usually dies. I tried to start it without the choke and the bike started up perfectly. The carb were cleaned and synched last year.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 09:44:07 PM »
Hey, MasterM3 - :welcome:

1) What's wrong with a nice view of your elbows?   :lol:   There are LOTS of options.  If money is no object, I'd get bar-end mirrors for CRG.  Napolean also makes nice mirrors.  I have crappy Emgos that are better only in that they are black.   :shock:

2) Any can with a 2", pinch style inlet will work.  you just need to hack the old can off (if stock) and put the new one on, really.  

3) Need more info.  Where are you?  What's the weather like?  Other than the clean/tune, have the carbs been messed with?  Your idle screws could be out too far, maybe?  

4) (Unsolicited) Be careful out there and WEAR YOUR GEAR!  

Good luck with your new ride!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline KSUGreggy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 10:25:52 PM »
WELCOME!!!

im the guy with the d&d on his bike.  yes its very LOUD.  Neighboors might not like it but people will notice you (for good or worse depending on how their car is painted :lol:)  Just hack of the old can like pitter said and install the new one.  It sounds great and a friend of mine with an r6 said my bike sounded better than his with a two brothers....AND he thought it was a 600!

Offline MasterM3

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 10:44:03 PM »
do i need to jet the bike or anything like that? is it as easy as hacking it off and throwing the new one on?

KSU,

where did you get that exhaust? do you know the model or anything like that?

As for the choke issue, im in sunny california. It's not cold at all. The bike is outside over night though.

Offline Krautwagen

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.comcast.net/~jeffgundry/
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 02:42:43 AM »
When you start it, are you giving it any gas?  If yes, for how long and how much to get it going and or keep it running?

If no, then whats the idle like?  If it's idling properly (~1k), and you blip the throttle, my guess is that it stumbles a bit before reving, correct?  If so, then your idle mix is too rich.  If it doesn't stumle, then I'm stumped.

Whats the idle like first thing in the morning?  How about after running for about 20 minutes?

Welcome to the group  :beers:
Dave
'92 Bandit 400 - parts
'07 SV650n

Offline KSUGreggy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 08:01:05 PM »
exhaust came with the bike...ill chekc for some model numbers later this week for ya...i think any bike with 2" pipe will fit....i think somewhere i remember seeing zx9s or zx6s might fit