Author Topic: Just bought a '91 Bandit 400V......  (Read 10635 times)

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
Just bought a '91 Bandit 400V......
« on: February 15, 2008, 12:10:36 PM »
Hi guys. I have been lurking around the forum for a couple of weeks now and it seems like the best source of information concerning bandit 400's. On virtue of this I went out and bought one!

Here are some pics -

The guy I got it from moved up onto a B12 and left this one sitting in his shed for a few years, so it has no MOT. Obviously the battery is dead, though he did get it running and took it round the block a few times. This is my first bike (I have not passed my test yet, will do soon though) so I am not massively clued up on what to look out for. I used to race go-karts a few years ago however, so I would not say I am totally mechanically useless.

Really I am just looking for some advice on what to do next; I have ordered a new battery, oil, fork oil, fork seals and oil filter. Do you reckon the carbs need a good clean and the internals replaced? I imagine I also need to flush out the fuel and drain the oil. Anything else in general I should look out for?
Thanks in advance! 

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:14:21 PM by Vanishing_Point »

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Just bought a '91 Bandit 400V......
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 12:53:28 PM »
i would flush the radiator fluid to. and check the tires to make sure they are not cracking. i dont know if how much you read but rebuilding the carbs would be a good idea.. these bikes have super small carbs so they get gummed up really easily. to drain the fuel you have to take the little screw out on the fuel tap. because you then can move the lever twisty thing into the prime position. i might even change out the fuel line to.. but thats only if its bad condition. maybe recondition the inside of the tank as well? a inline fuel filter wouldn't hurt as well.
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 05:42:48 PM »
Congrats on your purchase, I love hearing stories just like yours. You're right the guys here are awesome!
Happy trails
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 11:15:32 PM »
The carbs probably need some sort of attention but to start, I'd drain all the gas, run some Seafoam or something like that through them, change the oil and filter, flush the coolant, make sure the tires are safe and learn to ride.  From there, you'll figure out what else you need to do.

Very cool looking bike.  Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 08:21:53 AM »
Cheers guys. Getting the battery changed, the fuel flushed, giving it a good scrub and getting the bad boy running seems like the first thing I should do. After that, like Pitterb4 and kako have advised, I should know what else to do; probably giving the carbs a good seeing to!

I'm really excited tbh.......

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 12:19:09 PM »
I would add a couple of additional things:

- change and flush the brake fluid
- check the brake pads, front and rear
- carefully look at the brake lines and clutch cable
- check for any looseness in the steering head bearings and swingarm

congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the site.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 01:55:36 PM »
Ok. I have installed a new battery and flushed the old fuel that was in the tank out (it came out looking pretty clear). I also bled the carbs and only the first few drops had a brown tinge, after that they ran clear. I put a gallon of new fuel in (enough?) and hit the starter switch......it started with the choke on! after about 30 seconds I turned the choke off and it idled at about 2k for a while BUT as soon as I twisted throttle the engine would die. i tried this several times and the result was the same. I tried turned the fuel valve onto reserve and normal, the result was the same. After a few steady idles it now refuses to start at all, starter motor seems strong and I know there is fuel going in.

Any suggestions? I have a new set of spark plugs waiting; would they set things right, or is it more likely the carbs that are the source of my woes?! I also have not changed the oil/filter yet. Thanks in advance!

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 03:46:16 PM »
Do your spark plugs and oil/filter. Whilst you've got the tank off to do the plugs also have a look in the airbox and clean the air filter.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 03:48:37 PM »
You say this thing sat for a few years... my money is on the carbs needing a good cleaning.  Even though you drained out gas that was pretty good looking, the passages are most likely gummed and causing you troubles.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 04:41:42 PM »
Hmm I thought the carbs would be the most likely culprit; cheers red01. I'll give 'em a good clean tommorrow!

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 08:29:55 PM »
Given that it started and ran at idle, it is most likely the carbs. They will need a good cleaning, and likely new O-rings.

Do change the oil and filter, and the air filter ASAP. This is more important than the plugs.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 09:49:40 PM »
If it doesn't have metal brake lines, you might want to consider that too (at least for the front brakes).

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 11:01:58 PM »
welcome
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 01:22:10 PM »
Well after an epic half hour struggle with the throttle cable, the carbs have finally been removed. My dad has kindly agreed to give them a good clean and going over, I have a feeling I would be in over my head at this stage!

I shall change the oil/filter tommorrow. I have taken the air filter out; it says in the manual to clean it using a solvent (what kind?) and then soak it in motor oil (is this the same oil I put in the engine?). Also when I took the tank off there were 3 pipes going into the valve unerneath the tank; one i take it feeds the carbs, what do the other two do?

The old spark plugs seemed fine but I replaced them anyway. A question about the spark plug  leads - I was a bit silly and didn't really pay any attention when I pulled them off, how do I tell which lead goes on which plug? I assume the length of the lead and where it best fits is a good guess......I think i put them back in the right place, but how can I be sure? Anyway while if had them off I checked for a spark off the engine and there was on all 4 leads.

The carbs were a nightmare to take off....goodness knows how I will get them on again. Thanks again for all your suggestions, your help is very much appreciated!

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 02:54:25 PM »
I usually unhook the throttle cable at the handlebars or work with the carbs on the bike... getting that cable back on the carb sucks.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.