Author Topic: Just bought a '91 Bandit 400V......  (Read 10636 times)

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
Re: Just bought a '91 Bandit 400V......
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 02:58:03 PM »
Can I bring my bike to your place in Toronto, so we can clean my carbs together?  :stickpoke: (I'm half serious)..... :motorsmile:
1991 Bandit 400

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 09:53:56 PM »
I usually unhook the throttle cable at the handlebars or work with the carbs on the bike... getting that cable back on the carb sucks.

+1

Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 10:03:36 PM »
Tank hoses - one feeds the carbs, one goes to the vacuum port on the first carb, the other is a drain that leads down below the bike.

For the air filter, I've used the solvent designed for K&N filters on foam elements like that.

Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 01:42:29 PM »
Ok so the L shaped longer pipe on the petcock is for the fuel hose and the smaller straight one is for the vacuum, the one comig off the tank is a drain. Thanks Pitter.

As for the spark leads I read elsewhere on the forum that the two coming from the left coil (when looking as if sitting on the bike) are for plugs 1 and 4 (does it matter which one goes where?) and the leads from the right coil go on 3 and 4.....is this correct?

So I need to get some special solvent for the air filter then, do I also need special oil?

And Gooseman if you can pay for a ticket from Aberdeen, Scotland to Toronto, Canada then I would be more than happy do clean them with you!

P.S Interfuse thats a very good idea..thanks!

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 02:49:41 PM »
Can I bring my bike to your place in Toronto, so we can clean my carbs together?  :stickpoke: (I'm half serious)..... :motorsmile:

I'd gladly help you clean the carbs. But I just moved into a condo and no longer have anywhere to work on my vehicles (my old studio had a freight elevator and I could bring the bike inside...). If your girlfriend has a driveway or something I can show you how to clean them. Only problem would be if something went wrong you might be walking home. LOL.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 02:53:26 PM »
As for the spark leads I read elsewhere on the forum that the two coming from the left coil (when looking as if sitting on the bike) are for plugs 1 and 4 (does it matter which one goes where?)

Nope, not electrically anyway. 

Might be a slight difference in length though.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 04:07:38 PM »
You got the hoses right.   :bigok:

The short one on the left goes to #1 and the short one on the right goes to #3.  The lengths should make it pretty obvious now that you know which coil goes to which cylinders. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 12:29:29 AM »

I'd gladly help you clean the carbs. But I just moved into a condo and no longer have anywhere to work on my vehicles (my old studio had a freight elevator and I could bring the bike inside...). If your girlfriend has a driveway or something I can show you how to clean them. Only problem would be if something went wrong you might be walking home. LOL.

Yeah...she has a nice garage, actually! :D You wanna come to Montreal instead?  :wink: hehehee....
1991 Bandit 400

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 03:41:27 AM »
How come I never date girls with nice garages??? I love montreal, but I don't trust my bike enough to ride it that far... we've got a love hate relationship going on... if you get replacement o-rings it's probably safe to clean them in T.O. I've got all the tools and a spare carb and a 1/2 here.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 09:04:55 AM »
he just want to see the vv :stickpoke:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 10:05:17 PM »
hey dude well done on buying a b400

dont clean your air filter a new one will be like £2 and the cleaning stuff costs more than that and wont get it as good as a new one.
If you cant join them, beat them...

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 10:08:32 AM »
Just a quick update really.....

I had my CBT the Saturday before last and managed to pass despite having a lot of difficulties changing gear and braking due to a pair of massive army boots I was wearing! I then had 3 days intensive DAS training on a Kawa ER-5 (with proper boots) which was great fun and I learnt a hell of a lot throughout (used Biketec, Aberdeen - very good and inexpensive!).

I had the dreaded practical test this morning, and tbh I was a bit worried waking up and seeing the weather (very blustery and rainy) but having ridden in this weather before I was still confident. After a quick 30 minute warm-up it was time for the test............and I passed with only two minor faults! Not bad for someone who had never ridden a motorbike before just over a week ago!

Anyway I am still on a high and cannot wait to get my Bandit out on the road. The carbs should be coming back in a couple of days all cleaned up; then it's just a case of replacing the fork seals, giving it a good clean up and getting it through it's MOT. I hope there are no serious problems that will cost a lot of time/money so I can get out riding pretty quick.  I'll let you know of any developments, and there will probably many more occasions where your advice will be invaluable! 

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 01:38:12 PM »
Best of luck and BE CAREFUL out there.  Take it slow and wear your gear.  Good luck with the MOT! 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 03:54:26 PM »
Well i got the carbs back the other day and promptly installed them. I also replaced the air filter, drained the oil, put in a new oil filter and topped the oil back up with some fresh stuff. I took the battery off and gave it a charge overnight. I also checked all 4 plugs for sparking, which they all had. I have correctly installed the tank as there is definately fuel going into the carbs when i set the petcock to prime and then drain the float bowls.

Yet it still will not start? I am starting to get very annoyed, as the damn thing started when I 1st got it (albeit wouldnt rev) just by replacing the battery. Have I overlooked something obvious?

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 04:22:24 PM »
Try new plugs.