Author Topic: What an idiot !!  (Read 3400 times)

Offline chef

• Board Homesteader!
What an idiot !!
« on: May 11, 2007, 10:14:35 AM »
OK ,here goes,have been to embarressed to share this story unttil now.
On many occasions i have tried unsucessfully to get the B4 up on the centre stand so i thought i was just lame...that is until i read a new thread last week about this.
Had my weeties in the morning so went home full of juice ready to finally do this & what do ya know? ...First try up she rocks...damn i was happy with myself but was about to have a rude shock the next morning,most of the posts have mentioned difficulty getting it up....never down..haha.
How difficult can it be to rock it off the centre stand? I guess a smooth tiled floor didnt help at all but after a few minutes huffing,puffing,sweating,farting & cussing it finally rolls down...........then away from me !!
Only my wife upstairs so after more swearing & finally heaving this cursed beast up again...kicking the snapped brake lever across the garage floor & feeling like i broke my toe( wearing thongs)...the feet kind that is......too angry i just hobbled off to work with a red & swollen toe & badly deflated new sense of achievemnt.
Am back in the saddle after leaving it sit in the garage for 2 days.
I guess in future the B4 will be in centre stand city & just thank my good fortune the bike didnt crash the other way onto my wifes car..now thats not a haappy thought.

Hope you guys get a giggle from my mishap & stupidity.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
What an idiot !!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 10:34:06 AM »
99% of the time, I rock it off the center stand while I'm sitting on it.
Even if it's just to move it around in the garage.
Pretty hard to get away from you then.  :wink:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
What an idiot !!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 11:59:45 AM »
Yup...you gotta sit on it and push her forward!

But dont feel bad, I STILL cant get mine ON the center stand!  :duh:
1991 Bandit 400

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
What an idiot !!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 12:21:53 PM »
Getting it up on the center stand is all in the technique, lucky for me my dad showed me how and it's a cinch, even for a wimp like me, haha.

Put one foot on the stand, left hand on the clutch grip, and one on the left-side seat rail.  Push down with your foot on the center-stand while lifting up on the seat rail.  There ya have it.
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline 92mx83

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
What an idiot !!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 01:03:15 PM »
Here's what I did to get the bike off the centerstand on a slick floor:  I planted my right foot in front of the centerstand to stop it from sliding forward when I rocked the bike forward.  Wear shoes, please.
"Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!" - Conan the Barbarian, on what is good in life

Offline zelig

• Board Regular!
What an idiot !!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 01:32:41 PM »
I have always covered the front brake when pushing any bike off its centerstand.  Usually because it's been put up there in the corner of the garage, and the front tire will punch a hole in the drywall.

In the case of my Bandit, I ride the front brake while the centerstand is retracting.  The bike has been lowered, so the drop is farther -- and the front brake softens the impact.

Now that I think about it, though... I had a project bike with no front brake.  What a PITA it was getting THAT off the centerstand!

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
What an idiot !!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 04:47:23 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
99% of the time, I rock it off the center stand while I'm sitting on it.
Even if it's just to move it around in the garage.
Pretty hard to get away from you then.  :wink:

+1,.. even works if you're height challenged ( or as I tell people - "afraid of heights")

That first time you feel it rock forward with you on it can be a little alarming, just remember to grab that front brake before it rolls, and you're not going to end up rolling into the back wall of the garage either. ;)
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
What an idiot !!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 06:23:32 PM »
ive been thrown over a bike put a dent in the gas tank with my knee as i went over and landed on the rack next to me at the shop sucks when its a customers bike. Also have had a goldwing about kill me had me pinned against the wall.
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol