Author Topic: 250 Carb settings after UniPod or carb change?  (Read 2581 times)

Offline waruta

• Board Regular!
250 Carb settings after UniPod or carb change?
« on: January 19, 2012, 12:38:49 AM »
Does anyone have general settings or jet #'s for a stock carb on a '92 250 after installing UniPod filters?  I'm ditching the entire airbox and trying to clean up the engine area with Cap Coils.

I've been trying to find a set of flat slides for the little Bandit, had two sets (Yosh GSXR250R and Bandit-specific Flatside) slip through my fingers, but is there anything else out there that would work?  I know the 400 carbs is a little too big and won't work properly, so I guess my only alternative is to jet it with the UniPods for a miniscule power gain or switch out the entire engine to a GSXR250R or similar....

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: 250 Carb settings after UniPod or carb change?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 05:37:44 PM »
If the gsxr250 and bandit250 engines are as close to each other as the 400's you'd be wasting good money swopping motors.
Regarding pods ive never read anyone on here doing it so you are kind of on your own. If you are prepared to get the bike dyno'd you will quickly sort the jetting out but if you dont want to go down that road then its down to how good you are with engines. You will at least have to up the mains, most likely need to lift the needles and may have to up the pilot jet a couple.

Offline waruta

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:50:24 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.  Yup, the GSF/GSX share a lot in common with regards to engine design, so I'm thinking of putting some hot cams in it and some better oil lines, cooling, spark and flatslides to bump up the HP to around 50-55, we'll see :)  I guess then it's off to the dyno after all the mods are said and done, here in Japan it does tend to cost a lot to have everything dynoed, around $450 USD to have the carbs set properly, but it all depends on how quick you are with a wrench, paying by dyno run or by the hour might be cheaper than paying someone to set them.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

Regards.

W.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:20:48 AM »
I work in percentages so if you increase the power by say 10% you will need to supply extra fuel, this will allow you to work out a sensible starting point for jetting. It will not be accurate but safer than running the stock jetting.