Author Topic: My B4 One Year On  (Read 4106 times)

Offline trev69

• Board Regular!
My B4 One Year On
« on: May 13, 2012, 07:29:10 AM »
Hi all, ive been on here for about a year. Since I bought a 93 jap import bandit and have spent most of my spare time making it "special".
Ive never had a bike before and tbh, knew nothing about them but thought i would have a go. Still have lots to do but heres where i am today.....

Offline trev69

• Board Regular!
Re: My B4 One Year On
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 07:36:56 AM »
oh yeah, what i have done....all of the work has been done with my own fair hands btw..
well, it was a non runner, had it going eventually but not very well. stripped completely, cleaned and stripped a serious amount of rust from the frame. filled the welds and smoothed, painted with rattle cans.
rebuilt forks and calipers with new seals.
made my own seat unit, not perfect but not bad and cost me not very much, well a lot of time but thats free. lots more done but dont want to bore you all with the details... she runs now and much better than before thanks to new carb bodies and seals, still needs set up properly though.
anyone have a suggestion for a headlight? i want a small one as the original is too big for my taste
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:42:36 AM by trev69 »

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:07:20 PM »
I think it would look cool with dual round lights like a street triple. Looks good.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 07:51:44 PM »
I love the naked look, but you're going to need some fenders my friend  :grin: Looks awesome, good luck.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 08:08:59 PM »
Looks great!
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline trev69

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 01:30:20 PM »
cheers guys. not a big fan of twin headlights tbh. a small single possibly. there will be a front fender, the original hugger is too bulky for it i think and since it will be a fair weather bike, i should get away without one.
ill post more pics once it is complete.

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 02:38:28 PM »
Cool!..and came with dual rotors on the front!
More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 11:59:03 PM »
Looks good! I like the little detail in the rear "triangle" (below the seat). Also the two-tone paint on the frame is nice -- I often wondered about that large gusset down low behind the engine. Blacking it out works well.

What are you doing for foot pegs there? Can't quite tell.

I have to second the recommendation of a speed-triple-like double headlight, but it's your bike, do what you like ;)

Also, I think you'll want to add back the stock front fender, or at least the integral fork brace. I know it's not really a fork brace, but it's a pretty beefy bit of aluminum and probably has a pretty significant impact on the stability of the front end. Dual front disk probably helps with this (over the US single disk version) but still....

What are you using to support that exhaust can? Is it just hanging out there or is there something running up behind it that we can't see?

Anyway, lookin' good!  :thumb:

Offline trev69

• Board Regular!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 05:56:32 AM »
Looks good! I like the little detail in the rear "triangle" (below the seat). Also the two-tone paint on the frame is nice -- I often wondered about that large gusset down low behind the engine. Blacking it out works well.

What are you doing for foot pegs there? Can't quite tell.

I have to second the recommendation of a speed-triple-like double headlight, but it's your bike, do what you like ;)

Also, I think you'll want to add back the stock front fender, or at least the integral fork brace. I know it's not really a fork brace, but it's a pretty beefy bit of aluminum and probably has a pretty significant impact on the stability of the front end. Dual front disk probably helps with this (over the US single disk version) but still....

What are you using to support that exhaust can? Is it just hanging out there or is there something running up behind it that we can't see?

Anyway, lookin' good!  :thumb:
cheers bud,
the infills were made from a plastic car bumper, lots of heating and reshaping to make them fit. to me, they arent perfect but my skill and patience can be quite limited. the main objective was to hide the battery box and associated mess in there.
the lower part of the frame was gonna be yellow but the more i thought about it, and i thought about it alot, the black was the way to go. quite pleased that i done that.
just have the original pegs on atm but some black anodised ones will be on soon.
ah the exhaust. as i got busy with the grinder at the start, the mounting went. ill try to get better pics up of what i done there. i got a plate welded on just where the hose is hanging in the pic above and made a bracket to attach that to the centre stand mount. the can is supported by a strip attached to the back of the can and anchored to a bracket that was already on the pipe, think it was for the centre stand to rest against

Offline trev69

• Board Regular!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 06:03:55 AM »
oh and the fender is work in progress. it will be back on soon too. i have a set of twin doms but not sure i like them on it. may just use a single one or a 5" bates.... still undecided there.

Offline trev69

• Board Regular!
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 06:07:19 AM »
a shot of the tail light and indies