Author Topic: Left Handelbar touches tank  (Read 3041 times)

Offline LowKey

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://www.dbg.co.za
Left Handelbar touches tank
« on: February 02, 2006, 02:37:55 AM »
Hi Guys

I just noticed this morning when I jumped on the bike that when
turning the handelbars all the way to the left that the left bar end and
hooter switch touch my tank :shock:

The right handel bar stops in the right place by the looks of it. Not to far out
and not to far in

I know that something went wrong when i went sliding down the road the other day with the bike :duh: but ive looked at the handelbars from all angles and it doesnt seem to be bent.

Offline skolviking

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 04:58:33 AM »
It will be the stop that is bent, its a piece of metal welded to the head tube near the bottom set of bearings, if its that bent its probly pulled the bearing surface out a bit too.

I know because i did the same to my first bandit!

Matt

Offline LowKey

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 08:00:56 AM »
can it just be re welded back into place  :?:
im looking for a new USD complete front end for the bike.

can i leave the bike like that until then or should it be attended to before
tackiling the new front end ??

thanks for the help :beers:

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 01:07:42 PM »
Did you really break the stop? I would imagine that if you went down hard enough to break a stop, I don't think the rest of your bike would not look too good.

Offline Krautwagen

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.comcast.net/~jeffgundry/
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 02:40:24 PM »
Sounds like you bent the handlebars.  They are much easier to bend than the stop.  I know, I've done it too.
Dave
'92 Bandit 400 - parts
'07 SV650n

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 03:07:49 PM »
Hey Lowkey,
This is a great opportunity for you to learn about troubleshooting. Here is how:
1. Turn the bars to the side where they stop properly. Look around the head tube and lower triple tree until you find the parts that touch to stop the bars from turning.
2. You can assume that both sides work in a similar way, so turn the bars to the side where they do not stop. What is different from the other side? Is a piece bent or missing? Are the stops not even close to each other before the bars hit the tank? What makes this side behave differently?
Troubleshooting involves learning how something works, and then looking at a situation step by step until you isolate the part that isn't doing what it should be. It is a skill that will help you with all kinds of bike problems. Even if you can't figure out everything, you will be able to ask more specific questions and get better advice from people on the board, and if you go to a bike shop they will be a little less likely to rip you off if you sound like you know something about it.
 :beers:
Regards,
Steve
1991 B4

Offline 400runner

• Board Homesteader!
slider
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 07:21:20 PM »
I think that if you hit the bike hard enough to break the stoper you would have also gotten a pretty bad dent where the bar meets the tank. It sounds more like the bar has a bend. Easy to fix. But then again anything is possible. So if you are looking to replace it with USD forks what you can do is drill a hole where the piece broke off and replace it with a bolt. Very symple.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 10:25:17 PM »
+1 for bent bars...
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 10:31:31 PM »
Yeah - I'd pull 'em off and put them on a table or counter.  On a flat surface, you'll more easily see something not symetrical or square.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Krautwagen

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.comcast.net/~jeffgundry/
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 11:25:22 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
Yeah - I'd pull 'em off and put them on a table or counter.  On a flat surface, you'll more easily see something not symetrical or square.

Good call

I was trying to think of how he could measure them on the bike, but then there's too many variables.
Dave
'92 Bandit 400 - parts
'07 SV650n

Offline LowKey

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 02:58:18 AM »
hi guys

went home last night and with a few  :beers: in hand i spent some time checking over all the bits as you guys sugguested and low and behold i have torn the stopper away from the head tube slightly but by the looks of it, it has been done before aswell cause there was some shite welding there 2  :?:  :?:

the dent on the tank is not as bad as some might think, just where the hooter switch touched the tank is a small dent the size of a ear bud. Ill pop this out on my own so im not 2 worried about it.

Offline LowKey

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 03:01:02 AM »
thanx for the advise guys you have been a gr8 source of insperation and help :thanks:  :congrats: