Author Topic: Gel seat covers on a B4  (Read 3741 times)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Gel seat covers on a B4
« on: April 13, 2006, 11:31:05 PM »
Has anyone tried gel seat covers on a B4? I'm looking for something relatively simple to alleviate the sore ass you get when riding a B4 for more than 2 hours straight.  :bomb:

A gel cover looks like it may do the trick, but I'm not sure. Short of redoing the seat like duane did on his B4 (which looks fabulous, but is pricey), I don't know what other options I have. Did anyone like Corbin or the likes of it ever make a comfortable seat that pops right on the B4? Any other options out that that may work? Thanks.

Offline kingkong666jp

• TURBO TYPER!
Gel seat covers on a B4
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 04:36:33 AM »
sounds kinda sick a gel seat, hmmmmmmm maybe like sitting in diaper full of poop. you are right seat gets kinda nasty after awhile, i just pull over and rest abit :beers:

want some?

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat covers on a B4
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 07:45:00 AM »
I've never used one, but a friend of mine has a old CB750 with a long haired sheepskin cover that he said he made. To me it looks wierd, but he says his @ss loves it, never hot, never cold, never sore it what he says.
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat covers on a B4
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 12:49:54 AM »
IMHO this is an excellent cushion:
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/AirhawkTM-Saddle-Cushion-p-16999.html
http://www.rohoinc.com/
I have one of these for my Ninja 250 and I rode it from Portland, OR to Nova Scotia and back.  The Air Hawk saved my butt.  It's what allowed me to do 500 mile plus days and still like my bike.  The Airhawk is made by a company that builds cushions for people in wheel chairs that doesn't give pressure sores.  The Iron Butt crowd turned me on to them.

This is the tapered version, it would fit our Bandits too.  The image is a little dark but this is the handiest picture I've got.

Offline 400runner

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat covers on a B4
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 01:42:36 AM »
Portland to Nova Scotia? Is that Portland Maine or Oregon? How did you like Nova Scotia? I spend six months. It is Beautiful.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Gel seat covers on a B4
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 04:49:27 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Duane. I'm checking that out this week. I plan to take some interstate rides and need something to make it happen.

By the way, when you say "tapered", are you referring to the listing at the Aerostich page? The SFT page lists two different tapered models. I'll assume that's the model you're referring to.

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat covers on a B4
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 01:32:40 AM »
Quote from: "Vidrazor"
when you say "tapered", are you referring to the listing at the Aerostich page?

Yes.  Roho Inc refers to it as "small cruiser".  It fits our sport bike and standard seats.
http://www.shapefitting.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=CRUISERSMALL

==================
English not so goodly sometimes, me no like typing... me type with elbows

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Gel seat covers on a B4
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 03:11:33 AM »
Cool. Took the plunge and ordered it. Hope this does the trick, it's getting to be a torturous experience taking long trips on the 'lil Bugger4.

Thanks again.

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat covers on a B4
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 01:11:26 PM »
You got it?  Cool.  Some more notes on my expierence.  Roho says you can simply lay the cushion on top of your seat and it will stay put.  I ride kind of "sport" style, sliding from one side to the other, so that didn't work for me.  Built into the chushion cover are attach points that I used.  At the hardware store in the 99 cent bin, there were mini bungee cords that I cut to the proper size and then hooked to the bottom of the seat.  I kept them relatively loose because it doesn't take much for it to stay in place.  (You can kind of see them in my picture.) Secondly, It took me about a half to a full day to get used to it.  Now it feels weird to be without it on long rides.  Finally, it takes surprisingly little air to get it just right.  The cool thing is that you can put air in it before you leave and let air out while your moving.  It really does make long-mile-days much easier.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Gel seat covers on a B4
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 03:24:21 PM »
>>You got it? Cool.<<

Wel, I will have it. Should be in this week.

>>Built into the chushion cover are attach points that I used. At the hardware store in the 99 cent bin, there were mini bungee cords that I cut to the proper size and then hooked to the bottom of the seat. I kept them relatively loose because it doesn't take much for it to stay in place.<<

How come you use bungees instead of the supplied attachment strips? The strips don't look like they're elastic, which is kinda weird. I can see using bungees to keep it snug, but you're saying you're keeping it loose.

>>You can kind of see them in my picture.<<

I'll look again. BTW, nice-looking Ninja. Anyway, looking forward to this thing if it really does the job, which it appears as though it does, considering yours and other testimonials.

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat covers on a B4
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 04:47:09 PM »
How come you use bungees instead of the supplied attachment strips?

Supplied strips?  I never saw those with mine.  I wonder if they're talking about the tabs on the coushion's cover?

I can see using bungees to keep it snug, but you're saying you're keeping it loose.

Well ok, how tight is tight, how snug is snug.  I had mine too tight at first and it compressed some of the air cells.  I just loosened it up a bit.  You know, you might be able to use string or tie-line instead of bungee material if you feel it's necessary.

Duane

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Gel seat covers on a B4
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 10:09:30 PM »
>>I wonder if they're talking about the tabs on the coushion's cover?<<

I guess that must be how they do it. The straps attach to the cover and the cover keeps it in place. That is, assuming the unit comes with those straps as is mentioned at the SFT page. That'd kinda bogus if AeroStich takes 'em out and tries to charge you extra for 'em.

>>Well ok, how tight is tight, how snug is snug.<<

Of course, I won't really understand until I see mine. I'll assume you're somehow attaching directly to the Airhawk than it's cover, if the above assumption is correct.