Author Topic: WATER IN MY AIRBOX gsf 400 ?  (Read 2324 times)

Offline MRBLUESKY

• Board Regular!
WATER IN MY AIRBOX gsf 400 ?
« on: February 14, 2009, 05:55:25 AM »
The bike wont start, its not sucking fuel into the carbs, when i turn it over i can see the clear fuel filter trying to vacuum fuel through without any joy.. also there is a small amount of water in the bottom of my airbox.. any ideas

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Re: WATER IN MY AIRBOX gsf 400 ?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 05:54:52 PM »
Water: unrelated.

Did the bike run before or are you resurrecting something?

These things are very cold-blooded. I have to use choke to start mine in the middle of the summer.

Offline MRBLUESKY

• Board Regular!
Re: vacuum fuel problem gsf 400 ?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 02:24:09 AM »
Hiya and thanks

yes it has been going recently, ive been having a fuel problem at the moment,which is my main concern now . its not being vacuumed through? ive checked the pipes for leaks and all seems well . but whats the nozzel on the tanks end supposed to look like as it looks almost sealed up? is this right? I have success in the past blowing fuel down into the carbs but either they are full (and i have a different problem) or god knows ..any ideas mate?

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Re: WATER IN MY AIRBOX gsf 400 ?
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 08:27:10 AM »
The petcock is vacuum actuated.

If you look, there should be a small vacuum hose on the backside that runs down to carb 1. There is a hidden prime feature that you can use: undo the phillips head screw on the front side and rotate the knob past, fuel should flow. Also, you can check the vacuum portion by applying suction to the vacuum hose, fuel should flow. There should be no gas in the vacuum hose.

The bike is also only going to use as much fuel as it needs, basically, it will only flow till the floats stop the flow into the bowls (that is, as long as the floats aren't clogged and hanging open). So once those fill up, it won't take any more till needed.

Even when the bike is running, all I ever see is a trickle through the fuel hose/filter. I'm sure at higher revs the demand is higher but at idle not so much.