Author Topic: Bandit 250 VVT valve clearances  (Read 7718 times)

Offline mops

• New user!
Bandit 250 VVT valve clearances
« on: January 11, 2007, 08:40:50 PM »
Hello guys.
My first post here.
I have searched those forums (and the web) and i cannot find what I am looking for. I know there are many threads here about valve clearances, but none of them apply to vvt models.

background info:
I have been riding 1999 bandit 250 vzv, and really enjoying it. it is the later model (gj77?), special edition in orange - this is the same exact model/edition as the one on this page http://www.bikepics.com/suzuki/bandit250/00/pics.asp
This page states that vvt is on the exhaust valves only, but as i take the rocker cover off my bike clearly the intake valves are variable (v-tec system). I have it since it had 16000k's on it and not it has 22000k's.

Since about 20000k's valve train has been getting more and more rattly. I searched the web for valve clearances. All though i found quite alot of info about early model b250, i font nearly nothing about my later model of b250.

I called serveral bike service places and have got conflicting information some some places.
-local suzuki dealer said that there's a special tool required to adjust these and they dont have it and nobody in NZ have it, so i can't adjust valves.
-another shop gavem me a set of clearances
-yet another shop gave me a set of yet different clearances (somewhat overlapping with the previous shop)...
-one other shop they vaguely seem like they know what they are talking about and for the later model bandit they quoted me those specs:
intake (non variable): 0.13mm - 0.018mm
intake (variable): 0.10mm - 0.20mm
exhaust : 0.20mm - 0.25mm

some pics of the engine here:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=37527

does anybody can confirm the procedure of adjusting valves ?
there are some sort of marks on the camshafts....

ii'm aswell looking for somebody to provide/confirm the clearances for the later model b250 with vvt....

thanks in advance,
Mops.

Offline raptorsc

• Board Homesteader!
GSF250V valve
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 11:40:48 PM »
I can't remember it exactly without looking but I do have it here. I think at guess its all .15mm for inlet clearances and maybe .2 for exhaust.

Yes the Variable lift is only on the inlet valve train.

Also there is quite a procedure to adjusting the VL valve train, there is nothing straight forward about it at all, very time consuming and possibly you will need to create some special tools to access the adjuster set screws.

In all seriousness you should take this to a dealer who has serviced few bikes of this model, the consquences of getting it wrong is stuffing the cam and VL mechanism, and you gotta know it will cost about $2k AUD if you stuff it up!!!
2000 GSF250V

Australia

Offline mops

• New user!
Bandit 250 VVT valve clearances
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 11:52:21 PM »
Hey.

Thanks for that.

I would really appreciate if you could find out the clearances....

I dont see anything to stuff up really. the tricky part is tightening the intake locknuts without moving adjusters....

as i mentioned before my local suzuki dealer does not want to touch it.

Offline raptorsc

• Board Homesteader!
Valve clearances
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 12:00:27 AM »
Mate, you are sadly mistaken  :lol:  that local bike shop dun wanta touch it for a reason.

There are 20 different lash adjustments to make, first there is low setting on intake, then there is high setting on intake and then there is exhaust.

You have to manually shift valve phasing shaft on both sides as it in in two pieces when shifting from low to high settings, should you need to adjust low side settings you will need shims from Suzuki to do this, pray you don't need them and that only the high side adjustment with locknut and screw will clear up the problem

email me and will see what I can do to copy it for you
2000 GSF250V

Australia

Offline mops

• New user!
Re: Bandit 250 VVT valve clearances
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 05:54:55 PM »
I found service manual dfor bandit 400 and OMG you are right....  :shock:

effing thing... two shims (on valve and on rocker) while the 'screw' adjustment is for tappet to sub tapped clearance....

on top of that valve to valve clearance must be within 0.05mm (i mean on the same rocker).

I just need the exact specs for b250...  :roll:

Offline yuckhil

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 09:26:36 PM »
The newest 2 files in the downloads section on this website are for the GSF250VY.  I also have a printout of the procedure that I need to scan.
CheerS!
2000 GSF250VY

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 09:48:05 PM »
I can't help you in the least but, you're bike is like this orange and black one?  That's a stock paint scheme?  NICE!  I've never seen that. 

Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline mops

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 09:56:10 PM »
yip, i got the orand and black (with like bluish metalic flakes in it).
mine isn't as clean though :)

i have a leather jacket matching the colors, and metal plated streetfighter style gloves... :)

Offline mops

• New user!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 10:07:41 PM »
The newest 2 files in the downloads section on this website are for the GSF250VY.  I also have a printout of the procedure that I need to scan.
CheerS!

awesome  :beers:
  but definitely would find it helpfull to have that procedure document. the service data reports valve clearances, but no sub-rpm play. I looked at b400 service data, there's a procedure there, but some key things are different in that engine....