Author Topic: Poor Gas mileage  (Read 3285 times)

Offline twoup

• New user!
Poor Gas mileage
« on: October 11, 2005, 07:43:00 AM »
I previously had a 2000 model gsf250v bandit which which was an insurance writeoff.. I used to get around 250-280 before using the reserve (14litres, 3.5 reserve.

My replace bandit is an older model has the GJ77a engine but only get 200km's before I hit reserve. I have replaced Plugs, Oil, Oil Filter and Air Filter and I still get poor mileage.

Im thinking the carbs need cleaning or rejetting..

Does anyone know the model of Mikuni carb using in the Bandits? Ive checked the Online Japanese-> english manual but no reference there..

If I can get the model # I can replace the jets and needles and to see if that helps..

Any other ideas/ advices on what might be causing her to shallow the gas so quickly..

Cheers
Twoup

Offline Greg

• TURBO TYPER!
Poor Gas mileage
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 07:22:47 PM »
I am lucky to get to 200kms before I hit reserve.....  But I am on a '94 without vvt.  I have however noticed that after I get the bike back from a "tune" that I get better mileage but nowhere in the region you claim.

Offline twoup

• New user!
Poor Gas mileage
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 10:11:39 PM »
Quote from: "Greg"
I am lucky to get to 200kms before I hit reserve.....  But I am on a '94 without vvt.  I have however noticed that after I get the bike back from a "tune" that I get better mileage but nowhere in the region you claim.

Hmmm... Interesting.. The Bandit I have now is one of the earlier models ('95) which had the GJ77A with vvt. It has been suggested that the earlier model with vvt have different carbs to the newer models (>1999) which might account for the fuel economy differences.

Perhaps Im worrying about nothing as I cant see how vvt would alter fuel econ.

Cheers
Twoup

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.echomadman.com
Poor Gas mileage
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 02:17:41 PM »
the older non VVT bandits have bigger main jets, and put out 5 more hp (allegedly) i cant remember what year they changed though.
 200Kms before reserve sounds about right to me too, especially if you're tearing the arse out of the bike all the time (which is how the 250 is meant to be driven)
1990 GSF250 Bandit (currently getting a gsxr400 engine transplant,
2000 SV650S

Offline raptorsc

• Board Homesteader!
Fuel Economy
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 05:37:54 AM »
I have the 2000 model VVT engined GSF250V.

I get 200 - 210 and then its reserve. Maybe your other bike had a different sized fuel tank?
2000 GSF250V

Australia