Author Topic: Mods .. what you guys up to at the mo ?  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Diablo

• Board Regular!
  • GSX-R 400RR SP2
Mods .. what you guys up to at the mo ?
« on: September 10, 2008, 06:31:49 PM »
Mods .... anyone else doin any to their bikes at the mo ? I got plenty on to keep me busy   :grin:

Me R1 is complete, mind you is a bike ever truly complete ?? am thinkin velocity stacks next, I just need to make sure this second battery on the R1 lasts then that bike is sorted for now, anything that could be replaced over the past 2 years has been, rides like new if not better   :grin:

Me 400RR though is another story, gonna need a lot of tlc if am gonna bring it up to R1 standards, this is me spec so far for the 400RR :

MAKE & MODEL: Suzuki GSX-R 400RR SP-2, 1990 GK73A, Black.
WHEELS: Standard Wheels, Black Anti-Theft Valve Caps.
TYRES: Pirelli Dragon SuperCorsa Pro, Front - 120/60 ZR17 @ 32psi, Rear - 150/60ZR17 @ 32psi, White Tyre Paint
FINAL DRIVE: 14-Tooth Front Sprocket, 45-Tooth Rear Sprocket, Motrax Mechanical MPH Converter
BRAKES: Goodridge Race Set-Up Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Renthal Medium Grips.
BODYWORK: Black Race Screen, Custom Race Decals, Bright White Angel Eye Conversion, Ring Xenon Sportzblue HID Bulb Headlight Upgrade H4 80/100w, Superlux Super Bright 180 Degree LED Bulb Sidelight Upgrade T4W, T5 286 Bright White Instrument Panel Bulb Upgrade, Silver Evotech Paddock Stand Bobbins, Renthal Medium Grips, Hard-Wired Oxford Maximiser 360T Charger.
PERFORMANCE UPGRADES: Iridium CR9EIX Spark Plugs, Steering Damper, Yoshimura Cyclone Full System, HiFlo HF133 Oil Filter, Mobil Extra 4T 10W 40 Semi Synthetic Engine Oil, Silkolene Pro Coolant, Complete Barnett Clutch Kit, ITG JCS-11 Megaflow Carb Socks, HRC Rear Brake Race Reservoir

Thats just the mods added, not to mention  new clutch cable, throttle cable etc etc etc ... but I won't stop with the 400RR until its had the R1 treatment and reaches that level of standards.

Heres a pic of what mods are due to go on, we have as follows :

Power Boost - Engine De-coker, proven to add bhp and let engine run better
Carb Cleaner - Gonna need this after I been squirting 600ml of Power Boost through the carbs
ITG Megaflow Sock Filters - Release the power, next to come will be stage 3 jet kit
ITG Sock Oil - Gotta oil those socks like you would any aftermarket filter, K&N etc
HRC Race Brake Reservior - Gonna tidy the rear end of my bike up no end when I junk the original res in place for this, plus will look trick as hell

This is what the HRC res looks like on a 10R :

You can also see in the pic me waterproof folder with driving licence, aa card, phone, mini torch etc etc, I'll build this until am happy with it.

Phew ...   :rofl:

So come on what you guys up to tinkering away in the garage night after night ?

The Mod King  :thumb:
GSX-R 400RR SP2

Offline skibum

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Mods .. what you guys up to at the mo ?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 06:46:17 PM »
I'm in the process of installing the following on my 93 B4:

EBC Contour front rotor
Race Tech Gold Valve cartridge fork emulator
Race Tech fork springs
Wilber's remote reservoir shock
Stainless rear brake hose

In addition, a friend who is a machinist is about to do some serious work to my foot peg brackets.  All the material between the webs is going to be removed and the heel plates are going to be "swiss cheesed" (similar to the old Honda 900RR).

Still to come (as soon as the wife loses track of how much money I spent this time) is a second disc for the front end.  Not sure yet how I want to accomplish this but I'm leaning toward the Japanese spec stock front fork since I want to keep it looking relatively stock.
I'm having fun.  Are you having fun?  I'm having fun.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 01:01:13 PM »

EBC Contour front rotor
Race Tech fork springs
<snip>
Still to come (as soon as the wife loses track of how much money I spent this time) is a second disc for the front end.  Not sure yet how I want to accomplish this but I'm leaning toward the Japanese spec stock front fork since I want to keep it looking relatively stock.

If you hadn't just bought all that stuff for the B4 fork, I would've recommended installing a front end (41mm forks) from a Katana 600/750 or Bandit 600.  They'll slide right into your triple clamps, have the dual discs and would look Japanese spec.

You do know if you go to a OE B4 dual disc, that new EBC rotor will be too big, right?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline skibum

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 06:37:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the Gold Valve and fork springs will swap right into the B6 or Katana forks, if that turns out to be the solution.  My only problem with either fork is that I want to retain the stock B4 front fender and wheel and I'm not sure that this is possible using either of these forks.  Anybody know? 

As far as the EBC rotor goes, yes I do know that it's larger but I figured I'd use it for now and pass it along to someone else when I upgrade to two discs.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 08:04:25 PM »
Man I wuld have to start my own blog :banghead:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 06:35:26 PM »
Man, and I thought I was reaaaal special when I cut off my rear fender and put on my LED plate light. :duh:  It's just never enough, is it.. I have to replace my squishy rear before I do any fun stuff, but the first thing I'm doing is the front end swap.  I HATE single disc brakes up front.... can't really say why, but it looks funny to me.  ok, i'm done.
Hey Bandit.. whaddya say we bury the hatchet....... in your Tank!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline skibum

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 06:45:55 PM »

EBC Contour front rotor
Race Tech fork springs
<snip>

If you hadn't just bought all that stuff for the B4 fork, I would've recommended installing a front end (41mm forks) from a Katana 600/750 or Bandit 600.  They'll slide right into your triple clamps, have the dual discs and would look Japanese spec.

You do know if you go to a OE B4 dual disc, that new EBC rotor will be too big, right?

Red............I just got back from looking at a 94 600 Katana front end and it sure doesn't look like it will just slide into my triple clamps.  Center to center, the fork legs on the Katana are 7.25 inches apart and my B4's are 7.5 inches.  This will open up a whole can of worms as far as front fender, fork brace and axle/wheel fitment.  I sure would like to pick these up as the owner is willing to let the whole thing go for $100 (and they're in great shape), but unless I measured something wrong or I'm missing something, I don't see how they will fit.  :headscratch:

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 10:39:09 PM »
You need the katana triple clamp as well. And you probably need to press the bandit stem onto the kat triple. Thief400 can chime in if he's still around. :)
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 10:46:46 PM »
You need the katana triple clamp as well. And you probably need to press the bandit stem onto the kat triple. Thief400 can chime in if he's still around. :)

I'm sure Chris is snowmobiling by now!   :bandit:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline skibum

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 10:17:18 AM »
Katana triple clamps are a deal breaker for me.  Because of my back issues, clip-ons are a no go.  I'm also pretty hard over on retaining my stock front fender (calling the Katana fender ugly gives most ugly things a bad name).  Any other suggestions?  My criteria are as follows:

1)  Must look stock (USD is out).
2)  Must retain handlebars as opposed to clip-ons.
3)  Must retain stock front fender.
4)  Must have two front discs.

Does anybody know if this is even possible?  GSXR400?  RGV250?  Japanese spec B4?

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 10:56:38 AM »
A complete bandit 600 front end would fit your bill. I haven't heard of anyone doing that swap but it should be doable. If you're going that route, you could even get a 1200 front end and get a slightly larger fork diameter. There should be lots of 1200 front ends around seeing people like to upgrade to USD forks.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 11:04:24 AM »
This is what I have done and have been very happy with. Very few changes that pretty much look OEM to unsuspecting onlookers.

-Go onto the SV forums and get the caliper adapters that they sell.

The bolt pattern is identical and allows you to use GSXR750 4 pots on your fork. Get good pads and some stainless line and enjoy some seriously good brakes. You may need to either grind down the nubs on the mounting points or use a spacer like I did to center up the caliper. Rotor fits as well.

Yes it's only for one side but it is a great upgrade. On my track day, I never wanted any more from the brakes, total confidence late-braking as well. Sure if I was going way faster and doing them on a regular basis but by the time that happens, it'll be a different bike for the track. On the street the difference is very noticable.

-Get gold valves and properly respring your fork with new oil.

It will outperform almost everything besides a full-on USD swap. Once again, the difference is night and day in comparison to stock and with a brake upgrade, it's awesome. Added bonus: everything you have will work, no need to hunt or adapt parts.

If you do have a huge boner to do twin discs, from what I have seen you'll need pretty much the whole front end off of a Euro/Jap spec bike. Discs are smaller, wheel needs to be drilled and tapped, lowers have different mounts for the Nissin calipers. At this point, you may as well do a USD swap as the parts will be found easier.

Katana clip ons are actually quite tall. They're pretty much the same level as my coerce comp low bar. Difference is that they sweep in more.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 11:19:45 AM »
 :thumb:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline digitaldan

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 04:24:30 PM »
Trying to get my Bandit to run ! Do the carb socks replace the airbox ?

Offline Diablo

• Board Regular!
  • GSX-R 400RR SP2
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 04:50:05 PM »
Socks would if you could find any to fit, no socks or aftermarket filters will fit even universal stuff wont as the carbs are so close together :(
GSX-R 400RR SP2