Author Topic: Need help with build (swingarm, front ends, ect)  (Read 2909 times)

Offline 96gti8v

• New user!
Need help with build (swingarm, front ends, ect)
« on: March 12, 2011, 11:36:25 AM »
Just finished my SV build, moving to the fiances bandit. Before i ask some questions, heres the lowdown on the bike: Its my girls, she is a new rider and won be doing any trackdays or aggressive riding, so the bike is going to be purely cosmetic. Im doing a gsxr or zx-r front, which is easy. I like the look of the usd fork. I want a fatter rear tire, so my ultimate question is what swinarns are swappable to run a 180? Or who makes some kind of gsxr wheel adaptor to run a 6" wheel out back? Or something else along these lines. Whose done it? Wheres it doecumented?

And second, any companies make a full fairing kit for the bandit? Uppers, lowers, tails. I didnt check sharkskin yet, im going there next but if the dont have anything ill take recomendations.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Need help with build (swingarm, front ends, ect)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:00:50 PM »
You do know that running a 180 on the B4 will slow its nimble handling down, right?
This certainly falls into the purely cosmetic category and a 180 is a performance downgrade for the B4.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Ivandit

• B400 rider
  • Board Regular!
  • B400 rocks!!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 12:36:47 PM »
Wow, I think 180 is too much for a B400, and even a bit dangerous: it will change handling a lot as front and rear must be compensated.

As a friend told me once: "If you want to change son many things, maybe what you need is a different bike";)

Offline 96gti8v

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 05:39:37 PM »
Well han what do most people go with on the b4? I know a 180 would be too much but again this bike is going to be purely cosmetic and i think it would look wild on such a small bike. Im not worried about handling.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 07:42:49 PM »
she is a new rider With this in mind, she is going to drop the bike. If you're comfortable with this truth, read on.

Here's the lowdown: fairing kits exist for the B4 but they are dumb-expensive. IIRC Gimble made them and Banditmania still carries them. You're better off trying to fab something up so you can run an existing fairing kit but even then, there's no guarantee that it'll fit up and look nice.

Forks are easy to swap in and out.

You'll have to swap over an entire swinger and that will require machine work to run a 180 rear. People have done it to great expense. It will also change the geometry of the bike a bit and the fatter rear will probably bring the rear up as well.

Before you do through too much trouble, try an Avon Viper 150 rear on the factory wheel. It fits up and looks big (bigger than the Bt016 I'm running now) to the point where it was about 5mm from the chain.

Barring that, nothing you are talking about is an easy bolt-up, besides the fork. Good luck.

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 08:20:15 PM »
sometimes you have to work with what you'll got!!!. :stickpoke:

anyway to....

some here have fitted 400 gsxr swingarm with a 160... see link for more info.

like me and other here, are fitting or have fitted...the gsxr750 front end, see the recent posts here, and links... am also doing a gsxr swinger with 160!!....BUT with one thing and a another have not done any work to b4 for a while mainly due to work load and probably wont start again till the 1st or 2nd week of april  :rant2: due to a very large office move.

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=12493.msg99390#msg99390

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=6746.0

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/052308/

there lot of posting here regards to these items, hope some of this is useful :thumb:

Dek