Author Topic: Neutral Light  (Read 6706 times)

Offline onearmedbandit

• New user!
Neutral Light
« on: February 08, 2007, 10:48:01 AM »
Mines gone on the blink ...  here today gone tomorrow!

Main problem is warming the bike up, when I put the side stand down it cuts out!

Is this a common problem?  Simple fix?

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Neutral Light
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 11:40:48 AM »
Check the wiring from the neutral switch, the sidestand switch, the sidestand diode and the bulb.

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
Neutral Light
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 03:58:41 PM »
i have the same problem

a few months ago it stopped working, a day later it worked fine again and the next day it stopped working while i was in front of a trafic light in neutral.

i only checked the neutral sensor so far and havent taken the time to figure out what causes the problem, since it doesnt bother me that much

however i would doubt the problem lies with the sidestand switch, because it does its function like its supposed to.
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline SpoolinVolvo

• Board Regular!
Neutral Light
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 07:34:51 PM »
my light stays on all the time, I just got it and someone else rebuild it so maybe they grounded a wire to "fix" other problems...?
and i have to use the clutch to start, my ninja wasnt like that but it was old to.
my bike runs kickstand down and anything

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Neutral Light
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 08:12:59 PM »
Quote from: "onearmedbandit"
Mines gone on the blink ...  here today gone tomorrow!

Main problem is warming the bike up, when I put the side stand down it cuts out!

Is this a common problem?  Simple fix?

When you say it cuts out, do you mean the engine cuts out, or the neutral light goes out?

I can't speak for the B400, but I know some bikes (Ducati's particularly) have the side stand switch set up to cut the engine even if the bike is in neutral.

On the B12, the engine will cut out/not start if the side stand is down and the bike is in gear.

On older bikes this 'safety' feature wasn't available.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline onearmedbandit

• New user!
Neutral Light
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 07:09:05 AM »
Cheers for the replies,

I haven't had a chance to check out the electrics (I hate electrical problems so maybe I'm putting it off)

Bartjan - it sounds like my problem is exactly the same, doesn't really bother me except I can't warm it up in the morning as it won't run (in neutral) with the side stand down when the light is off!

It's gotta be a dodgy connection somewhere I just wondered if there was a common place for them to go.

Oh yeah sometimes if I kick the side stand up a couple of times the light will come on (or go off :lol: ).

Aussiebandit - bike cuts out even when in neutral if the light is off.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Neutral Light
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 09:30:57 AM »
Quote from: "SpoolinVolvo"
my light stays on all the time, I just got it and someone else rebuild it so maybe they grounded a wire to "fix" other problems...?
and i have to use the clutch to start, my ninja wasnt like that but it was old to.
my bike runs kickstand down and anything

Sounds like custom wiring. Clutch to start is normal. There's a clutch sensor. But if you have your kick stand down and switch from neutral into first with the bike runing it should kill the ignition.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Neutral Light
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 03:15:35 PM »
Quote from: "onearmedbandit"

Oh yeah sometimes if I kick the side stand up a couple of times the light will come on (or go off :lol: ).

This is giving you a really good clue.  

I'd start with the sidestand switch and the wiring around it.   Look at anything that moves when you put the side stand down, or up.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline SpoolinVolvo

• Board Regular!
Neutral Light
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 01:33:17 PM »
what wire should i be looking for in my custom wiring?

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Neutral Light
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 08:40:57 PM »
There's nothing to say that you have custom wiring.  

You'll have to determine this on your own.

If it's stock, it will cut the engine if you're on the side stand and put the bike in gear.  You will also have to have the clutch in to start it.  

If you can leave the bike on the sidestand, and shift the bike into gear, and the engine does not die,.. then custom wiring.  Also, if you can start the bike without pulling the clutch in, is also custom.

The stock wiring, we can likely help with.  Custom is just that, custom.  Without seeing it, there's no real way for us to troubleshoot it.

Both of these are safety features.  Both stop your bike from taking off when started, or without you on it and intending to leave ( i.e. the side stand is up)

Personally, I would take measures to put them back to stock, if they aren't.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
Neutral Light
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 06:34:44 AM »
Quote from: "stormi"
You will also have to have the clutch in to start it

mine doesnt need the clutch to start (even when in gear), but i should be original wiring, so i guess its not the same in all country's
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline SpoolinVolvo

• Board Regular!
Neutral Light
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 09:03:12 AM »
my neutral light stays on all the time, thats the only custom wiring im trying to figure out, im sure its just one wire grounded somewhere, I just dont know where to look...
back to stock is what im trying to do

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Neutral Light
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 04:21:48 PM »
Quote from: "Bartjan"
Quote from: "stormi"
You will also have to have the clutch in to start it

mine doesnt need the clutch to start (even when in gear), but i should be original wiring, so i guess its not the same in all country's

Well,.. would you look at that.  Apparently we Canadians are "lucky" in that we have that extra step we have to go through.  

I checked the manual, you are correct.  This is a "Only for Canada" thing.  I had thought that it would be the same for all countries.  

Here's what the manual says:

Note: This motorcycle is equipped with interlock switches for the ignition circuit and the starter circuit.  The engine can only be started if:

1. The transmission is in neutral, or
2.  The transmission is in gear, the side stand is fully up and the clutch is disengaged.  

NOTE (Only for Canada): In addition to above, the clutch must be disengaged to engage the started motor since the clutch switch is equipped.

SO,.. anything other than the above, would be  non-standard behaviour.  That doesn't necessarily indicate custom wiring, it could also be a fault.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Neutral Light
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 04:24:58 PM »
Quote from: "SpoolinVolvo"
my neutral light stays on all the time, thats the only custom wiring im trying to figure out, im sure its just one wire grounded somewhere, I just dont know where to look...
back to stock is what im trying to do

That's nearly impossible to say.  Wiring problems are the least fun of all.  More than likely, you will find your wire somewhere it can touch the frame, or bare metal somewhere.  Where to start?  I don't know, I don't have the bike in front of me.   :sad:

You could start with the wiring diagram in the service manual, or the owner's manual.  That may tell you where these lines are running, narrowing down the number you have to look at.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline SpoolinVolvo

• Board Regular!
Neutral Light
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 06:35:31 PM »