Author Topic: New B4 owner coming up  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
New B4 owner coming up
« on: October 17, 2005, 08:40:18 AM »
Hi everybody!

I just bought a secondhand B4, need to replace the front fork seals and small stuff. All in all it's quite the deal. It's a montster compared to my former bike (Honda NX250) and i wanted to step up, you know it  ;-)   But i'm a little puzzled.. Everybody's talking about a GK73 but mine's a GK72, is this possible? If yes, what are the differences?

Thanks in advance
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
New B4 owner coming up
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 08:57:31 AM »
:welcome:

Good luck with your new bike!  

One of these days I'm gonna take the time to learn what the hell all these GK-whatever codes mean!  I'm sure someone will be able to chime in here for you, Farre.  

BTW - where in this world are you?
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
New B4 owner coming up
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 09:06:18 AM »
:congrats:

Welcome aboard! The little 400 is a hoot, isn't it?  :motorsmile:

GK72? Hmm, thats a new one to me. I'm pretty sure both of my engines say GK73 on them, but I'd have to check to make sure (and since they are both an hour away...)

Maybe they are GK72s, I know they are -very- similiar to the GK73a on the GSXR400, the only real difference being the cams, transmission, and carburators. Perhaps that is enough to warrent a different GK number, perhaps not.

gsxr400racer will straighten this out when he wakes up.  :grin:

What year is the bike?

:worthless:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
New B4 owner coming up
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 10:00:38 AM »
ehh, sorry, i think i was looking cross, because now i double checked my papaers and my bike-tag and they say GK75A  :duh:  Sorry bout that

And yeah indeed, this bike is incredible, although i think the carbs are up to a sync, the broad powerband is quite impressive...especially in high rpm's  :wink:

Ah, and the papers say it's registered in '90..
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
New B4 owner coming up
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 10:02:52 AM »
but the main fact is that i don't know which model mine is, i mean in the manual there's written E-## from ** country. And on microfilm i've seen hints of M/N and P models.
Confusing...

Oh damn, where are my manners. i'm from Belgium. But nationality is the same like Herr Todd  :grin:
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
New B4 owner coming up
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 10:09:57 AM »
M/N and P are all year identifiers. :grin:

Mine is a '93, hence it is a GSF400P

K - 1989
L - 1990
M - 1991
N - 1992
P - 1993

I don't believe there is any difference between the L, M, or N models other than minor stuff. The P model has a lower rev limiter, and therefor a different Digital Ignition box as well as different valve springs if I remember correctly. All parts are interswappable, though (I can put the stiffer valve springs in if I want). In fact, I have a full '91 (GSF400M) engine that I'm using for donor parts.

The E-## is, if I'm remembering correctly, on the side of the carbs and is only used to identify which carburators your bike is equipped with. There are 32mm and 33mm versions. The poor sods in California are stuck with their own 'special' version of the 32mm that is even more restricted.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
New B4 owner coming up
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 11:08:11 AM »
Aaahhh, that puts me at ease  :grin:

Actually, i have looked into this site before i bought the bike, just to see if there was a place where i could get help if i needed it.
To be honest this BBS is amazingly friendly and helpful. if i didn't have a g/f, i think i'd always be on checking for tech bits  :wink:

Thanks everybody, i hope i can add my 2 cents here sometime, someday
Alex
B6 Rear Shock