Author Topic: new guy, odd questions  (Read 4951 times)

Offline skr00zloose

• Board Regular!
new guy, odd questions
« on: January 29, 2007, 08:08:11 PM »
about to pick up a 91 b4, with a bad cdi (of course) just wondering if anyone has tried to fit another ignition to these bikes. something along the lines of a dyna2000 or something.

i don't have the bike in front of me as of yet, but from what i can see from the manuals, it looks as though there's a single ignition pickup. my main question i guess would be is, is there enough room under the engine cover to mount 2 pick-ups, there-by allowing a wider range of ignition choices.

i'd rather not shell out the cash for another stock cdi knowing that it could go at any moment, so i'm trying to figure out what can be done to cure this problem once and for all. i've been a motorcycle mechanic for about 11 years, and i've built MANY a custom bike using parts from all over. rigging up a custom ignition isn't beyond me by any means. curious to see if anyone has tried it before. i have a second hand dyna 2000 ignition left over from my old 7/12 streetfighter, so i figured it's worth a shot.

i only picked up the 400 because i always wanted one, and this one came along at the right time, as i'm in need of transportation while my 954 'fighter is apart getting cut into little pieces.

any and all comments are welcome.

also... comments and info on that big-bore piston kit would be nice too :D what kinda power is to be expected from that setup? i'd probably do some headwork and run dual intake cams while i had the motor apart, just planning ahead for when the 954 is done and it's the b4's turn to go under the knife. if i could squeeze 80 or so reliable hp out of the motor, i might just keep it. if not, i may wedge in a 600cc inline or something. motor swaps are my specialty, and i have alot of spare time, lol.

lets see, what else??

has anyone tried to fit an sv650 swingarm in a b4? i happen to have a complete sv650 (99) rear end laying around, but like i said, i don't have the bandit in front of me yet to do any measuring.

one more question, anyone know the carb spacing of the b4? i've changed the spacing of several carb racks over the years to make them work on bikes they weren't designed for, and i'm curious to see if i could make something slightly bigger work on the 400.

thanks for any and all replies. alot of people think i waste my time on such things like this, but it's what i like to do. keeps me busy, heheh.
-2002 cbr954 streetfighter
-1988 CR500 powered hawk gt
-1986 gsxr 7/12 streetfighter
-1997 ktm duke in s/m trim
-2001 drz400e supermoto
-1976 gsxr suspended xs650 cafe racer
-1978 rigid frame xs650 bobber
-1991 gsf400 (on it's way)

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: new guy, odd questions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 10:42:43 PM »
Quote from: "skr00zloose"
about to pick up a 91 b4, with a bad cdi (of course) just wondering if anyone has tried to fit another ignition to these bikes. something along the lines of a dyna2000 or something. No , Ive been looking at it but not to certain i can do it . so tis up to you

i don't have the bike in front of me as of yet, but from what i can see from the manuals, it looks as though there's a single ignition pickup. my main question i guess would be is, is there enough room under the engine cover to mount 2 pick-ups, there-by allowing a wider range of ignition choices. Yes there is a enough room the gsxr400 gk71f had dual pick ups , you do the rest of the math.
i'd rather not shell out the cash for another stock cdi knowing that it could go at any moment, so i'm trying to figure out what can be done to cure this problem once and for all. i've been a motorcycle mechanic for about 11 years, and i've built MANY a custom bike using parts from all over. rigging up a custom ignition isn't beyond me by any means. curious to see if anyone has tried it before. i have a second hand dyna 2000 ignition left over from my old 7/12 streetfighter, so i figured it's worth a shot. Worth a shot yes ( I have a gk71f cover with pick up but not the timming plate but could locate you one.) The info on rebuilding the cdi  in the F&Q has real simple directions on how to fix the cdi so really no worries. The main reasone the cdi goes out is due to over amprage so take care of that and no problems. LOL
i only picked up the 400 because i always wanted one, and this one came along at the right time, as i'm in need of transportation while my 954 'fighter is apart getting cut into little pieces.  Yes neat bikes they are!any and all comments are welcome.

also... comments and info on that big-bore piston kit would be nice too :D what kinda power is to be expected from that setup? i'd probably do some headwork and run dual intake cams while i had the motor apart, just planning ahead for when the 954 is done and it's the b4's turn to go under the knife. if i could squeeze 80 or so reliable hp out of the motor, i might just keep it. 70-80hp depending on your motors state of tune! if not, i may wedge in a 600cc inline or something. motor swaps are my specialty, and i have alot of spare time, lol. I have one of those!lets see, what else??

has anyone tried to fit an sv650 swingarm in a b4? i happen to have a complete sv650 (99) rear end laying around, but like i said, i don't have the bandit in front of me yet to do any measuring. Im sure it will be real close and some twist adjustable dog bones from a hyabusa will finish the linkage part up for you. I have a 2002 gsxr 750 swinger allready done up for a bandit , and my gsxr 750 2002 wheels are for sale youd just need a front end. LOL Sorry im a visionary!
one more question, anyone know the carb spacing of the b4? i've changed the spacing of several carb racks over the years to make them work on bikes they weren't designed for, and i'm curious to see if i could make something slightly bigger work on the 400. early bigger gsxr with your rack brackets damn thats a big secret.

thanks for any and all replies. alot of people think i waste my time on such things like this, but it's what i like to do. keeps me busy, heheh.Yes me to

Your welcome
cheers
Jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline skr00zloose

• Board Regular!
new guy, odd questions
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 12:06:21 AM »
much appreciated. i already looked into rebuilding the cdi. (yeah, i read the faq before i posted, lol), but i asked the guy if he still had the old cdi, which he does, and he tried to "fix" it too, and it went up in smoke, so i'm starting from square one.

i have a complete sv650 rear end and a complete 94 gsxr750 front end from my old track bike, so those'll probably be going on it. along with some older gsxr carbs (have PLENTY of those laying around) just didn't know if the carb spacing was already right or not. easy enough to change though, so no big deal.

i may talk to you about those piston kits in the near future. actually, i used to live not far from you, still have family up that way, so i may just see about coming and checking them out firsthand sometime if you don't mind.

i think i'm gonna have to try and make the dyna work. good to hear your gsxr has dual pick ups. if i can make something like that for the bandit, it should be a fairly straight forward setup. do you happen to have a pic of the ignition on your gsxr? curious to see how everything bolts up, and what the differences between it and the b4 ignition (besides the obvious) are.

again, thanks for the info!

oh, by "i have one of those", do you mean you have a b4 with a 600 motor in it?? i'd like to see that!
-2001 drz400e supermoto

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
new guy, odd questions
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 12:16:56 AM »
Hey skrOOzloose...

Some interesting bikes listed in your tag line. Got a link to photo's of any? I'm really curious about the GSXR suspended XS650. (What can I say, still a soft spot in my heart for old 70's stuff I used to work on :motorsmile: )

What caused you to want to update the old XS650. Most of them I see now are in total neglect.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
new guy, odd questions
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 12:49:07 AM »
While we're on the topic of bikes in that list -- the two stroke frankenstiened hawk caught my eye.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
new guy, odd questions
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 06:35:58 AM »
Quote from: "skr00zloose"

oh, by "i have one of those", do you mean you have a b4 with a 600 motor in it?? i'd like to see that!

these are probably the best quality pics ever taken  :monkeymoon:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
new guy, odd questions
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 08:20:41 AM »
le tm e just clarify the older gsxr 400 86-87 has dual pick ups not min mine is identical to the b4 but i can take a picture of the gk71 cover that i have for you ! and if you want to buy it its yours email me personally and we will talk more about your project
cheers
Jay
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline skr00zloose

• Board Regular!
new guy, odd questions
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 09:04:40 AM »
http://www.bikepics.com/members/skr00zloose/personal/

some pics of some of my old bikes. the 2 stroke hawk isn't in there b/c it's still being buillt as part of a "biker build off" from another board i'm on. the motor is in the frame on that one, and the rear suspension is sorted, but that's about where it sits at the moment.

i have a bunch of pics of most of those bikes if anyone would like to see more. i used to work at a local salvage yard, and i would pick parts from the yard and build weird stuff in my spare time.

that srad powered b4 looks interesting. might be worth looking into in the future. i have access to a frame jig and a bunch of equipment i never had before at the shop i work for now, so that's definately do-able.
-2001 drz400e supermoto

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
new guy, odd questions
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 02:35:30 PM »
Cool stuff, I remember seeing your posts on cycleforums.  Keep us posted.
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline land-warrior.rus

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://landwarrior.dynserv.net
new guy, odd questions
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 02:46:25 PM »
I notesed that not many of your bikes have a silencer!!!
How do you get away with it? Aren't they a bit too loud???
The bikes look good though  :congrats:
We work to live not live to work!!!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
new guy, odd questions
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 03:01:39 PM »
Quote from: "land-warrior.rus"
I notesed that not many of your bikes have a silencer!!!
How do you get away with it? Aren't they a bit too loud???
The bikes look good though  :congrats:

:?: The only ones that looked like they had no silencers were the two Yamaha 650 twins. All the other ones had cans on them, though some were pretty short.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline skr00zloose

• Board Regular!
new guy, odd questions
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 08:02:26 PM »
well, i got my b4 today. pretty clean, new tires, new fork seals, new brakes all around, etc. still need a cdi though, the one that was on it is burnt to a crisp. still toying with the dyna ignition idea, guess it'll depend on whether the local salvage yard has a cdi laying around. last time i was there, i saw a b4 tailsection hanging up, so i'm assuming they parted one at some point. maybe i'll get lucky.

already playing with ideas as far as mods go. thinking of swapping fork lowers with an cbr600f3 set i have so i can run dual disks and have a 3.5" front wheel. then probably an sv650 swingarm with a cbr600f3 rear wheel, for wider rubber (and so the rims match), then ditch the bars for clip ons, and take off the bikini fairing. thinking of reaplacing the whole seat/tail to a ducati monster setup too, we shall see.

if anyone wants that bikini fairing that's on it, it'll be up for sale in a day or two.

anywho, here's a couple pics:

-2001 drz400e supermoto

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
new guy, odd questions
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 07:27:38 PM »
cover now in my ebay store

Offline skr00zloose

• Board Regular!
new guy, odd questions
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 08:58:25 PM »
actually, i found a working cdi, however, it's NOT from a b4. it's actually a kawasaki part. the bike runs fine. i'm not sure the advance curve is the same as the b4's, but it seems to be running fine. since i don't have a working b4 cdi, i can't swap them to see if they run exactly the same or not. for $30 for the cdi, i guess i can't complain. i'm trying to get the model of the bike that it came off of, and i'll be sure to post that info as soon as i find out. might be of some use to people with cdi problems.

if i happen to find anyone else locally with a b4 that i could try the suzuki cdi, i'll let you know if it runs any different.

i just swapped the tube bars for a set of cbr600 bars, and made my own mounts to fit the stock headlight for the time being. don't know if i want to use the bikini fairing or not. it does look decent sitting lower with the lower bars, but i kinda like the fully naked look to my bikes. i may leave it on until the weather gets warmer, as it may block a lil of the coooold wind off my chest.
-2001 drz400e supermoto

Offline skr00zloose

• Board Regular!
new guy, odd questions
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 08:26:03 PM »
i retract my previous statement. the cdi DID work, but not for very long. gonna go theu the harness and find out what went wrong so quickly. soo.... the cdi hunt continues.
-2001 drz400e supermoto