Author Topic: New seat and pics of my Bandit  (Read 5273 times)

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
New seat and pics of my Bandit
« on: April 10, 2006, 10:36:54 PM »
I had Sargent Cycle Products rebuild my seat for the Bandit. They had it for about 4 weeks.  I had them reshape the whole thing because I was sliding into the tank, and then of course recover it.  I also opted for the upgraded foam that will still cradle my butt after hours in the saddle. :grin:

Before

I held a carpenters level up to the seat and made a mark so they could reference a level line.

After

Hi res

The bike is nearing completion.  It seems like nearly half of this bike I've replaced with parts from Ebay.  At one point I had 6 side covers in my possession before finding some that weren't busted.  I like the stock turn signals so I've had 6 or 7 of those pass through my hands.  The trim on the radiator has been replaced, the rubber trim on the front of the tank, the ENTIRE head light assembley, the rear fender, handle bars, center stand, levers, cables, and  so much more.

I had dents in the tank filled and then painted, along with the side covers.  The guy painting it assured me he would match the old color or just look up the color code.  It seems he did neither.  Although the quality of paint is very good, it doesn't match exactly.  Later I had the rust removed from the tank.

A few months after I purchased the bike the chain broke when I was riding.  It flew off, busted the turn signal and broke off the side reflector on the fender.  (anyone have a side reflector they can sell me?)
I purchased frame sliders for an SV650 and had a machine shop put them on a lathe and make them the right size.  It took them maybe 5 minutes or less and and they did while I waited.  They turned out great.

Hi res

These are stock handlebars I found on ebay.  I LOVE them.  That's also a National Cycle fly screen F18 I have mounted right now.  I also have a Plexifairing GT windscreen for this bike,  that's what the knobs on the bars are for.  The Plexifairing comes on and off in less than 30 seconds.  I plan on touring on this bike this summer.  I installed heated grips and the switch is mounted left of center.  I put on the heaviest bar end weights that were practical at the time.  These are made by Manic Salamander.  I never thought I could get excited about bar end weights.  The grips are from Murphs Kits.  To quell vibration I filled the bars with lead shot and finally I spray painted the tripple clamp and everything else I could black.

Hi res

The Header pipes still bother me but that's enough for now.  Next year I'll send them off to be ceramic coated black.  I'm still working out the details on the Factory Pro jet kit I've installed, but other wise it carburets really well.  (Thank you every one who chimed in on my post and helped) The cam chain is a kind of noisey so that may be a next year project too.

Hi res

Offline MasterM3

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 11:00:40 PM »
very nicely done

Offline bikrpitts

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 11:33:21 PM »
Great story, you obviously care to do it right.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 11:37:23 PM »
I thought I was meticulous! Ha.

Love the seat bro. Do you mind me asking how much it set you back? I've got a spare back seat already. If I can scrape up a front on ebay I might go that route!   :beers:
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Krautwagen

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.comcast.net/~jeffgundry/
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 12:21:59 AM »
May I/we ask how much the seat re-do cost you?  I'm very interested in having mine done.
Dave
'92 Bandit 400 - parts
'07 SV650n

Offline Zhi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 12:55:10 AM »
That seat looks wicked. :)
Z

Living and riding in the S.F. Bay Area.

Offline Lippy

• New user!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 12:58:29 AM »
I purchased frame sliders for an SV650 and had a machine shop put them on a lathe and make them the right size. It took them maybe 5 minutes or less and and they did while I waited. They turned out great.

Did you just get them down to the same length on both sides, and did you just use the stock bolts in the frame?  I have access to a lathe and want to get some frame sliders for the bike before it hits the road.

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 03:58:37 AM »
Quote from: "Krautwagen"
May I/we ask how much the seat re-do cost you?

Well, remember, I asked for nearly all the options available, $250.00.

want to get some frame sliders for the bike before it hits the road.

First, the SV sliders (both new and old SV's take the same sliders), left and right, are two different lengths.  I had the longer cut to the length of the shorter.  Two, They come with aluminum inserts that fit in to the B4 frame, I cut those with my own hack saw to the correct length.  And third, I bought new bolts from my local hardware store, they were easy to find.  

Duane

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 06:15:12 AM »
Damn - that thing looks GREAT!   :bigok:  :beers:

Whenever I get the time, I'm painting my top triple like that.

For anyone wanting sliders, search this forum.  Someone had a machinist friend who was making nice ones pretty reasonably.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 10:14:30 AM »
Love the seat, was thinking of doing the same with mine (sending to Sargent).  What did that seat-job cost you, ballpark?
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline Krautwagen

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.comcast.net/~jeffgundry/
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »
Quote from: "duane"
Quote from: "Krautwagen"
May I/we ask how much the seat re-do cost you?

Well, remember, I asked for nearly all the options available, $250.00.

Duane
Dave
'92 Bandit 400 - parts
'07 SV650n

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 12:51:57 PM »
The seat looks GREAT.

Heck, the whole bike looks great!  :bigok:

:congrats: on a job well done!  :motorsmile:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Russtang

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://russruss.com
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 04:50:08 PM »
She's a beauty!

:congrats:

Offline jcmjrt

• Board Homesteader!
Beautiful!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 08:13:49 PM »
It all looks good but that seat does really set it off!
  :motorsmile:  :bigok:

Offline Katamaniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 12:33:32 AM »
That bike looks great. I really love that seat. I will have to take a picture into the guy who did my Katana seat and see how much he would charge me for the job.
2006 Honda ST1300

1993 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience