Author Topic: B4 Handling Versus Other Bikes  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
B4 Handling Versus Other Bikes
« on: October 17, 2008, 09:41:10 PM »
I'm curious if there's something, either intentional or accidental, about the B4's design that gives it handling you can pit against modern bikes.

Recently I joined a local sportbike rider's group, who's group leader's fancy is the twisties over anything else. He rides a Ducati 1098 and is an accomplished rider.

Other than my "lowly" 93 B4, other bikes in the group are the likes of Monsters, Hayabusa's, CBR's, Ninja's, Gixxers, et al, all modern bikes with 600cc or greater engines.

On three different occasions now, with different riders on different bikes, when we hunker down and really start digging into the twisties, it's been me and the group leader up front. Most riders fall back, one time so way back we had to pull over on straightaways and wait, sometimes over a minute, for everyone else to show up (more than once we wondered if someone dropped).

Is there something about the B4 that allows me to throw this bike into turns in ways these other machines can't? My bike's only mod has been the addition of progressives. In as much as I feel competent about my riding skills, I don't consider myself an advanced rider. While some riders definitely have lesser experience, others have been riding for a while, and even have track time under their belt (which I don't as yet have). Granted, I ride all year 'round (even in winter), and since I started riding in '05, I've put over 32,000 miles on my B4 so far. Some of that time has been bonkers in twisties, but not that much.

So is there some stealthy secret to the B4, or am I a better rider than I realize?  :bandit:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 09:44:28 PM by Vidrazor »

ippo

Re: B4 Handling Versus Other Bikes
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 02:35:32 AM »
I believe that you are skilled rider,but B4 is light bike and it is fast on curve road.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 01:16:38 PM by ippo »

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 04:08:22 AM »
I don't think there's anything particularly special about the b4's handling apart from basic stuff like being lighter than some of the larger bikes and being less powerful, so you don't have to be so careful with the throttle.

I'd guess most of the differences are due to you and the other riders. Differences in skill, confidence, cautiousness and possibly just how they like to ride.

Offline skibum

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 11:44:39 AM »
I typically ride at the front of most groups I'm with regardless of which of my bikes I'm on.  That said, most of my bikes are 400cc or under.  I find that the smaller (lighter) bike is far easier to ride fast when the going gets twisty.  Hell, I can ride my wife's 83 Kawi 305GPz and still stay up front most days, as long as the road is sufficiently not straight.   Loads and loads of horsepower work great at the dragstrip but can be a detriment elsewhere.  The guys I ride with tend to think that they can solve all problems with a healthy twist of the wrist.  The further I get in front of them the harder they twist the wrist and the slower they are.  Go figure.   :duh:
I'm having fun.  Are you having fun?  I'm having fun.

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 05:46:45 PM »
There isn't much about the B4's handling that is special on the stock suspension and front end and tires etc. There are things that can make it handle much better. But for you guys that are running up front on your Saturday afternoon forays into the twisties, I'd chalk it up to your talent and the lack thereof of the other riders behind you or maybe they are just being cautious on public roads.
The B4 has some serious issues to be taken care of before you could say the machine handles better than a stock CBR, Monster, etc. A better front end. A good rear shock. Good rubber on the rims with proper tire pressure. And a good tech to help you set it all up to run with your weight. Also a bit more ground clearance.

G

Offline r_outsider

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 11:43:25 AM »
I think there's a big difference between good track handling and good real world road handling. A B4 may be out of its element on the track. But it was never really meant to be a race bike. On the street however, the soft suspension and frame flex give it a nice, composed ride over the bumps and ruts that are a reality on the road. Its fairly light weight (although it isn't exactly a feather by any stretch either) and short wheelbase give it quick and resonably responsive steering. The riding postion is just sporty enough to let it be a fun bike, without being too cramped to ride all day. And the motor, when it's running right, has a remarkably broad range of power for such a small engine, and screams out enough on top to be fun in most real world situations.
On the other hand, we'll look at the Yamaha R6. It's (from all I've heard, anyway) a spectacular race bike, with a huge top end rush of power and steering so responsive and sharp that the bike falls into corners by itself. On the road with the realities of street riding thrown in, it's an uncomfortable, hyperactive, twitchy mess to ride. Modern sport bikes have suspension that is too stiff, engines that are too high strung, handling that is too twitchy and responsive, and a riding postion that is too uncompromising to really be practical street bikes.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 02:54:23 PM »
 :rant2: MINE IS A WEAPON :stickpoke: and thats all i got to say about that. :thanks: well maybe one more it is on a higher level than i can ride.  :thumb: :motorsmile:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:49:54 PM by Red01 »
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline daveberry

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 03:45:30 PM »
hi i think it's down to how much bottle you have it dosent matter if ya have an r1 if ya havent got the bottle for the bends. i have managed to stay with a group of sports bikes for miles on an old honda 250 superdream which aint no sports machine  i admit they left me on the straight and i was thrashing the death out of the thing but i  still showed them up on the bends so sometimes id say it's down to the rider an not the machine or thought the machine does help. B4 what can i say that has not already been said great bike for little money worth every penny.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 05:43:12 PM »
Hmmm, not familiar with the term "bottle".

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 05:53:43 PM »
Its an English term for BIG GONADS!!!!!!