Author Topic: ETHNANOL FUEL  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Sierra2

• TURBO TYPER!
ETHNANOL FUEL
« on: June 10, 2006, 12:15:04 AM »
OK, I've tried searching.....and came up empty handed.

Some may remember the problems  had with my B4 not being ridden for 4 yrs.... the worst carb corrosion I have ever seen.....etc. Thats all sorted out. The idle jets I couldn't quite get all the crap out of, so once she warms up she sputters a bit waiting for the traffice light. :motorsmile:

I've been running 94 octane with some carb cleaning additive since I got her back on the road. I ride her religiously rain/shine (no fairweather rider here) She was running OK but not smoothly. On a whim (and because it was cheaper) I put a tank of Ethanol Gas (89 octane) and now she's running like a top. Seems simple to me....... cheaper gas......runs better.....better for the environment etc. :grin:  

Then my friend says "Don't run that crap in small engines the alcohol will fry them"...... :shock:

OK .....so here I sit.....confused.  :rant2: Is ethanol fuel OK for bikes ??.....specifically for mine? Can anyone help me out?

Pete
...better to say nothing and have them think you're a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
ETHNANOL FUEL
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 03:38:38 PM »
if it runs better good for you! :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Sierra2

• TURBO TYPER!
ETHNANOL FUEL
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 04:24:55 PM »
Thanks for writing back Racer

No concerns then??

Could the alcohol damage the pistons in such a low percentage as in ethanol fuel?

What octane do you run generally, just out of curiosity?

Pete
...better to say nothing and have them think you're a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
ETHNANOL FUEL
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 05:51:21 PM »
no dont worry some work the opposite they run better on good gas and visa versa. I only race but if i rget my street fighter done 87 will be fine for me , in my race bike i use 110 VP race fuel U4,U2, or mr8 all are oxygenated. but on occasions i run citgo race fuel all leaded too and turbo blue, cam 2 , rocket brand race fuel . I seem to prefure VP though.
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
ETHNANOL FUEL
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 03:05:00 AM »
If you still feel you carbs are crudded, check this out:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/sea-foam/

Offline Sierra2

• TURBO TYPER!
ETHNANOL FUEL
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 10:35:04 AM »
Thanks Gents,

I'll keep running with the ethanol then. And if it doesn't clear up I'll try the sea foam.
I've never seen it around my normal haunts, (auto parts places) maybe at a boat shop....

Makes me feel a bit better.....the ethanol fuel around here is usually a few cents cheaper than the lowest price "regular" gas so it's a considerable cost difference. ($17.00CDN vs $23.00CDN per tank)

Thanks again!

Pete

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
ETHNANOL FUEL
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 06:08:37 AM »
Search this forum for "Octane".  There's a couple good threads.  Your bike does not need the high-test.

:welcome:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Sierra2

• TURBO TYPER!
ETHNANOL FUEL
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 04:46:56 PM »
Thanks Rob,

It pays to know the right search key words.

Pete