Author Topic: No Spark, plllr  (Read 2679 times)

Offline verhoefnelis

• New user!
No Spark, plllr
« on: December 13, 2012, 07:20:45 AM »
Hi, I redid my valve clearences, and the bike ran before I did them and after finishing the valves I plugged everything in an tried to start, but it turns out I now have no spark, I tested the voltage on my two coils, the one is round about 12(right coil) volts and the other is closer to one volt(left coil), there is continuity beween the white wire from the coil to the cdi, and also the orange wire, the voltage of the left coil shoots up to 12v if i touch the exposed bit of the white wire (if i am basically the grounding), any ideas? tim for a new expensive CDI(I hope not)?

I know the two wires for the radiator fan touched each other and thereby blew a fuse while I was busy with the valves.

Thanks

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: No Spark, plllr
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 09:48:43 AM »
You need to check the orange wire for a fault.
The 12v supply to each coil is from the same place so has to be the last few inches that feed the bad coil.

Offline verhoefnelis

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:15:13 AM »
Thanks, I found a connection that was a bit loose, probably some previous fix, now if i test the voltage both the orange wires to ground is round about 12v.

Still no spark though, if i measure the voltage across the orange wire and white wire on the left coil, and I crank it is it supposed to go up in voltage from .05v or will i not be able to see it on a volt meter?

If I measure the voltage across the positive and negative of the other coil it is always 12v, is this also not supposed to oscillate while cranking the motor? 

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 02:01:24 PM »
You dont measure across the wires.
The orange feed 12v to the coils and these are feed from the same place (they are connected inside the loom)
the black and white wires are pulsed from the pickup via the cdi.
You got to start at the end and work back.
if one plug not sparking you look at plug, pairs not sparking - coil, three or more would indicate further back still.
You need to check, cdi, connections, fuses, safety switches and pickup.

Offline verhoefnelis

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:53:34 AM »
It was a rusty connection from the signal generator, thanks for all the help.