Author Topic: Nology Coils & a question  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Nickelodeon

• TURBO TYPER!
Nology Coils & a question
« on: July 07, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »
Hello to all!

I'm a fairly new owner(Since May) and have done quite a bit to my 91', including a carb rebuild, valve adjustment, jetting, new/higher thermo and some other stuff.

At the time I did all this I was a bit concerned about the state of the ignition wires, but I cut them back a bit and stuffed them back into the boots while cleaning the plugs(NGK R's).

Anyway, it ended up biting me in the rear the weekend before last and I started having some intermittent ignition issues one day with my young daughter on the rear of the bike on a short freeway jaunt.

I pulled off at the next exit, let the bike cool...and it was OK for the ride home. The next day I rode it a bit and checked the coils and sure enough, one of them was testing super high on the resistance on the primary side and I ordered up some new coils(and wire)...on my way home from my shop with the bike the coil finally took a big dump and I had to limp it home on two cylinders(in a downpour)...lol

It reminded me of the old days when I rode all sorts of unreliable shit. haha

So my question is this:

I know some fella "gsxr400" is running nology's, but can any of you tell me if you guys are running solid core wire without problems with the ignitor? I know it's not "recommended", but I checked the caps and they are 10k ohms(actually testing around 10.5 to close to 11), cut in half, I'm assuming- because each coil is firing both plugs, plus the plugs themselves @ 5k each....cut in half...so I'm figuring 7.5Kohms for the circuit(in parallel).

Do I have that right?  It seems like running solid core would be better with the ohms already in play....anyone doing this already?

Thanks for any help anyone pony's up. If you're not sure or guessing please don't post...I can do that and be wrong just fine myself...LMAO!

Offline AlanDog

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Nology Coils & a question
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 09:53:44 PM »
I'm not sure, and just guessing (:stickpoke:), but other bikes with resistor plugs can go without any other resistance and they seem to work fine. It may add additional stress (current) to the coil and CDI, but I know people do this on other bikes (including me) without any issues. Depends on how conservative/experimental you like to be, IMO. How much evidence does it take to be *sure* in this case? It may reduce long term reliability, who knows? Do I need to have a fleet of bandits, modify them and calculate MTBF versus an unmodified control group?  :stickpoke:

Offline Nickelodeon

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 10:15:31 PM »
That's what I needed to know! Glad to hear you're doing it successfully with a CDI, I should be fine with the ignitor I assume then.

Thanks!

(If I'm not I'll come back here and post)

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 08:14:19 AM »
You'll be fine.

The new suppressor wires are so low resistance that I don't think it'll make a damn bit of difference. I was running suppressor wires when my OEM copper cores took a dump 10 years ago in my factory coils. Theoretically it is a bit overkill with suppressor plugs and caps (can't remember if they are) but it's what we've got and it does work.

I now have these ridiculous huge green coils from Stormi running suppressor wire (because I had some in the basement) and no issues.