Author Topic: BT016 review  (Read 2346 times)

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
BT016 review
« on: June 26, 2009, 03:16:02 PM »
Since these are the newest hot-shit tire and Michelin prices are dumb-expensive, I thought I would give these a go. Here's what the first 100 miles felt like.

-These tires are rounder than the PP's.

They don't turn in as well so if you're used to a triangular profile tire, they'll be a bit slower. Once healed over, they corner just fine they just don't "fall in" the same as the PP so you have to muscle them over a bit more.

-The rear tire is shorter than the PP by a slight bit. Front tire is close to the same, for reference sake:

Ft BT: 23.3    Rear BT: 24.4
PP:     23.46   Rear PP: 24.57

This doesn't help the slower turn-in. I found this out when the front would push when accelerating out of a corner. Raised the rear about 10mm (2.5mm shorter bones) and all is once again right with the world.

I noticed this after I spooned them on with no changes that the rear was hanging in the air on the center stand. With new PP's, both tires were on the deck when new on the center stand. With the shorter bones, both wheels are back on the deck. I'm also running a newer GSXR rear shock that's 1/2" longer than stock. All total, I should be right around 45mm higher than stock.

-The side compounds are SOFT....

Even on the street, you can get the things to look like they're on the track. I was just scrubbing them in and I noticed that they were already starting to look grained on the side like I had them heated up on the track. I'm running 29/35 and probably will run 30/30 this 6th when I do get to the track.

-The sidewalls I noticed are STIFF

The construction of the tire was different enough that I backed off the rebound and added in some compression in the back. Front, there isn't so much I can do but the front end feels fine to me. The tires ride better over bumps than PPs but I really haven't pushed them yet to get a definitive answer yet.

When they get more miles on them I'll report back but I'm questioning the side's compounds and how they'll hold up. I've heard that they vaporize on the track and if that's the case, they'll be half-done on the sides after the trackday compared to PP's which held up great.

Will these be the new standard? Only time will tell.

-Randy

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
Re: BT016 review
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 02:14:35 AM »
This is great!  I've been thinking about getting the BT016's when it comes time to replace the 45's that i'm not in love with.  If you can tell me all of this just from the first 100 miles, I cant wait to see the rest of the review.   Thanks for a great write-up.  With tire prices what they are, and being stuck with what you buy, homework is a must. :beers:
Hey Bandit.. whaddya say we bury the hatchet....... in your Tank!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 11:00:43 PM »
I run Bt 016 on my 1200, I've really come to like them, and with our constant lack of great twisty roads and my frequent commuter use they still haven't changed their shape horribly after about 3000km. Lots of grip when you get over on the super soft compound. I COULD however see with track use that the sides would wear too quickly compared to the rest of the tire.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 09:51:47 AM »
Here's the track day report:

Ran Lightning at NJMP yesterday in the I group, temps were at 70* at the start of the day and 85* towards the hottest part of the day. Pressures were 31ft 30 rear, perfect wear all day long. A 2.2 mile right-hand biased track with super-fast straights and ridiculous corner speeds. Lowest gear I was in all day was 3rd and that was because I went in way too hot and needed drive out of one of the two left handers.

On the little bike, these tires held up great, much better than the PP IMO for the track. They only started to get a little greasy (very, very minute slide) once I really started to get in the groove and up the pace towards the later sessions. With the proper suspension settings, wear was even front and rear; even had the same 3mm chicken strip on both sides.

Big bikes would eat me up on the straights and I would get towed along in the corners, keeping their speed and sometimes coming alongside since they carried too much speed in the corners. It really was great because the best I could do was 120 indicated on the speedo with stock gearing on the back straight just about rubbing the limiter (ran out of room). I was getting buzzed at 140+ before dropping two gears into turn one.

Are these a viable replacement for the Powers? I'd think so, if they can provide the same mileage on the street I can tell you right now the traction is definately there and you will not nuke the softer compounds on the edges. Turn-in is more predictable without the falling in feeling as the Powers and feels much more accurate.

I just wished I had 20 more HP in the straights, a little more front brake and more money for track days....

-Randy