Author Topic: Not a technical post but... (Now with real blog-style goodness!)  (Read 2770 times)

Offline 92mx83

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
I went riding yesterday...  it was fun.  Thought I'd share with you guys, maybe inspire you. :taz:

*link deleted - see post #3*

Yeah, I know, I don't have the mods done yet. :stickpoke:  They are waiting patiently for me.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 06:34:39 AM by 92mx83 »
"Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!" - Conan the Barbarian, on what is good in life

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Not a technical post but...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 06:01:33 AM »
Unfortunately, you have to be a member at hawaiitalks to view whatever you linked there...
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline 92mx83

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Not a technical post but...
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 06:32:44 AM »
Oops, sorry, Rob et al! :duh:

That's what I get for being lazy...

Here goes:

Today, I went out for a long motorcycle ride with some friends. I met with the lead drummer of my lion dance club at his place in Kaimuki, then we went to Cycle City near the airport to meet one of his in-laws who was visiting from Seattle. On the way, another of his friends joined us on the freeway.

When we got to Cycle City, we had some time to kill, since the guy from Seattle hadn't arrived yet to pick up his rental.

Ever feel like a minority? When we got to Cycle City, they were just opening up. I managed to snap a couple pics before the place was flooded with Harleys...

I think Suki-chan was the only Suzuki there.

Once the Seattle guy showed up, he got his rental, passed a quick skills test (rode once around Cycle City's parking lot), and we were off to our 10 am brunch reservation at Cinnamon's in Kailua.

It was a really nice day for a ride today.  Cool, with enough cloud cover to keep us from roasting.  Dry roads, not much traffic.  Too bad about the vog, though...

Gratuitous self-pic:

Terrorizing Kailua:

Parking at Cinnamon's (yes, you have to pay even on Sundays:mecry: ):

We had a hearty, if rather unhealthy breakfast at Cinnamon's (you need to try their Guava Chiffon Pancakes if you haven't yet), and left to go gas up at Chevron.  While there, we discovered a very good reason not to buy a former rental bike from Cycle City:

^^^ That's after Greg (the guy from Seattle) put in a quart of 20W-50 at the Kailua Chevron.  Before that, the stick was bone-dry.  He ended up putting in 2 quarts total, and placed a rather stern phone call to the CC rental department.  The bike had only 4800 miles on it.  As I understand it, he got reimbursed for the oil when he returned the bike this afternoon.

Off to the North Shore!

Punaluu:

Riding past Kim Taylor Reece's house:

Pitstop at Polynesian Cultural Center:

Suki was feeling a little self-conscious with all these $20,000 bikes next to her, so she breathed a 400cc sigh of relief when one of the guys had to go home...  We continued onward:

Entering beautiful downtown Kahuku:

Sunset Beach, with palm-tree-blocking-my-painstakingly-crafted-shot-from-a-moving-motorcycle goodness:

Waimea Bay:

Gratuitous self-pic riding by Waimea Bay:

And finally, the world-famous Matsumoto Shave Ice:

I had Lychee with Azuki & Ice Cream.  It was really good, but quite honestly, I think Waiola Store has the edge.  Today's shave ice had a hard crust on the outside.  Actually, come to think of it, it was pretty hard-packed all the way thru.  I dunno, maybe it was the stress of the huge line wrapping around the outside of the store, but I think the guy packed it down a bit too hard.  Waiola's is always soft and fluffy.  It's okay... it was a most welcome treat at this point in our ride.

This is where my camera ran out of memory, since I inadvertently shot some movie footage while trying to get my camera out by Kualoa Ranch and used up some space on the memory card.  To wrap it up, we went to Dillingham Airfield to watch the skydivers land, then through some crazy H-1 traffic by Pearl City, and followed it up with me getting cut off on Ala Moana Boulevard by some inattentive local ditz in a green Isuzu Rodeo with a vanity plate that reads "RYTEN", then cruising thru Waikiki and finishing up at the Diamond Head lookout where we parted ways.  Phew.

When you combine good food, good friends, good weather, and MOTORCYCLES, how can you not have a great day?  I just need to get that Sargent seat upgrade, 'cause my ass was hurtin' like a mutha by the end of the day... :beers:
"Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!" - Conan the Barbarian, on what is good in life

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: Not a technical post but... (Now with real blog-style goodness!)
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 12:06:58 PM »
Sweet, something funny about checking harley oil tho or anything that sumps oil into a seperate tank not sure if it has to be running or right after or what but i know one way it shows low or none :motorsmile: lol been a minute
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:12:24 PM »
It's just not fair, there is ICE and snow outside my door! Glad to see others are getting to ride, never mind wear short sleeves.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 02:34:35 PM »
BTW - there's no need for posts here to be technical.  Great ride reports like this are welcomed.  Sounds like a great time!  I'm looking forward for our weather to turn (and to have my bike back together!).  It does sound like I'm a little closer on that weather thing than Miriam! 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline 92mx83

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 03:34:40 PM »
Sweet, something funny about checking harley oil tho or anything that sumps oil into a seperate tank not sure if it has to be running or right after or what but i know one way it shows low or none :motorsmile: lol been a minute

I figured the guy knew what he was doing since he owns two H-Ds back in Seattle.  He was pretty up in arms about the oil thing.  And both of the other guys agreed you're supposed to check the oil while the bike is on the sidestand, engine off.  They ended up concluding that the oil in the bike was the stuff put in at the factory since the bike had only 4800 miles, and the dealer just never filled it. Nevertheless, we had a good ride.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 03:57:29 PM »
good good i just know i over filled one because of something like that :beers: get the mods done
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 09:22:06 PM »
Looks like a fun time.  :bigok:

I didn't know you could go for a long ride out of Honolulu though.  :stickpoke:

I bet you're getting in more riding than us folks around Seattle though.  :lol:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline 92mx83

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 12:55:49 AM »
There's actually some nice riding to be had here.  I put on about 100 miles that day. :motorsmile:

Offline Russtang

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://russruss.com
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 01:48:04 PM »
Great report.  Made me wish I was back there...Thanks!