Author Topic: Can you help me identify these carburetor parts?  (Read 2865 times)

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Can you help me identify these carburetor parts?
« on: February 19, 2006, 01:53:34 AM »
These are the stock carbs off my 93 Bandit 400.  This is my first time digging into them and right now my knowledge is only rudimentary.  I know what and where the main parts are, like main jets, floats, needle valve etc, but there seems to be some big holes in my knowledge.  My tank has rusted pretty bad so I'm taking the carbs apart, cleaning them, and putting in a stage one jet kit from Factory Pro.

A & B.  What's the function of these passages?  When I squirt cleaner into them where should it come out?  Right now it just kind of sqirts back onto my hand and doesn't seem to go anywhere. Next thing to do, I guess, is to pass a piece wire through them?

Here are the bottom of the carbs, obviously the float bowls, floats, and main jets have been removed.  
C) The floats mechanism mated right up against this, and those three holes empty right into the venturi. In fact through one of them you can see the edge of the butterfly valve.  
D) I've taken apart carbs before but for the life of me I have not seen a part like this.  I'm curious as ever, what is it?
E) I thought this is where the pilot jet was, no?  All four came with rubber caps, as illustrated in the picture below.  
F) Stock main jets are 102.5, this is a used bike, it had a 105 main jets; obviously someone has been into it before.  (You can also tell by the fuel/air idle screw caps that have been removed.)  The Facroty Pro kit came with 95 and 97.5 jets, quiet a bit smaller than stock and even smaller than what the previous owner had.  I'm nervous about tuning this.

Are these needles stock?  Did someone get the order right when putting back the washers and spacers?  I'm not able to tell from the exploded view in the manual.

Thank you for any and all comments.  Wish me luck.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 04:11:53 PM »
pic one : a&b are air correctors!
Pic 2 : c= correct!
D= choke fuel inlet
e: = yes thats where the slow jet was and all rubber caps are to fit on snug like if you fliped the carbs over with them in they better not fall out!
f; go with the 95's unless ya got a pipe, or air box mods! And the jets are smaller to compinsate for the needle taper difference!
Yes those needles ar stock but some funny shit about that pick is the rubber o rings under the clip they go on the caps (carb tops) PMSL that would run rich as hell with the needle raised that much!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 06:27:27 PM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
e: = yes thats where the slow jet was

Is "slow jet' another term for pilot jet?  And when you say "was", does that mean this slow jet is not used or maybe moved?

f; go with the 95's unless ya got a pipe, or air box mods!

Thanks!  That's good to know.  I have a Yoshimura can on the bike so I will try the 97.5's that came with the jet kit.

funny shit about that pic is the rubber o rings under the clip they go on the caps (carb tops) PMSL that would run rich as hell with the needle raised that much!

I was wondering that.  It just didn't coincide with the hard-to-read-picture in the manual.  I'm ditching the rubber o rings then (!) when I put the new needles back in.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 08:51:58 PM »
Quote from: "duane"
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
e: = yes thats where the slow jet was

Is "slow jet' another term for pilot jet?  And when you say "was", does that mean this slow jet is not used or maybe moved?(NO IT STAYS THERE JUST MAKE SURE IT IS CLEAN THEN PUT THE RUBBER PLUGS BACK OVER THE HOLES.)

f; go with the 95's unless ya got a pipe, or air box mods!

Thanks!  That's good to know.  I have a Yoshimura can on the bike so I will try the 97.5's that came with the jet kit.( STAY WITH THE 95's) for full pipe!

funny shit about that pic is the rubber o rings under the clip they go on the caps (carb tops) PMSL that would run rich as hell with the needle raised that much!

I was wondering that.  It just didn't coincide with the hard-to-read-picture in the manual.  I'm ditching the rubber o rings then (!) when I put the new needles back in.
(SAVE THE RUBBER ORINGS FOR THE CARB TOPS GOOD SPARES)

SLOW JET PILOT JET THE SAME THING! CHEERS :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 08:32:55 AM »
this thread comes at a perfect moment! I was just wondering to open my carbs as well, great pics!! And great Q&A too!

I recommend this thread maybe in the 250/400FAQ? a pic says more than a thousand words...
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline stripes1976

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 01:47:24 AM »
i would seriously recommend you get your compression checked after you have it running! With it running that rich there is a possibility that the bores have been worn by the excessive fuel! If the bores are worn then you wanna talk to jay (gsxr400racer) about something he has for sale!

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 11:40:43 AM »
I’ll just add a couple things to this...  

With the FactoryPro kit, you do in fact get SMALLER mains.  That’s b/c they use a narrower needle which causes more flow to the main.  

Read through your manual.  It’s been a while since I studied it but IIRC, there are some pretty good descriptions with diagrams of what most of the little passages are for and where they go – I seem to specifically remember descriptions of A and B.  If your tank is rusty like mine was (recently Kreemed it), I would pass wire through those as well as removing the pilot jet and making sure you can blow air through it.  When my tank was bad, I was constantly loosing on or more cylinders at idle.  

The little rubber plugs do go over the pilots.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a good explanation of why.

Just another thing to be sure and check while you have ‘em apart is the o-rings on the float pegs.  Make sure the floats seat nice and tight.  It’s pretty common that those o-rings deteriorate over time – especially in the US (oxygenated fuel).  

Good post.  When everyone’s done with it here, I’ll move it over to the FAQ.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7