Author Topic: Complete electrical rebuild  (Read 3662 times)

Offline nsc

• TURBO TYPER!
Complete electrical rebuild
« on: November 16, 2010, 03:35:20 PM »
Hello bandit owners!
I was having trouble with my messy loom and i was almost ready to strip it and rewire every cable when i i stumbled on this:
www.motogadget.com/en/m_unit.html

This is a central control unit which eliminates fuses and relays keeping wiring to minimum.
What keeps me from buying it is that i haven't figured out yet how to isolate ignitiong/cdi/alternator/V actuator wiring.My Suzi is a 93 jap imported V model but i havent been able to find a schematic.
What do you think?

My plans for my littie bandit are accels,repaired cdi,new alternator,munit and maybe a Durbahn lithium battery.

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Complete electrical rebuild
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 04:20:02 PM »
Check this thread for some wiring ideas and solutions: http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php?topic=77328.0

Vlad lives in Toronto, Canada and rides http://bandit.xxc.cc

Offline nsc

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 12:23:33 PM »
Hi Vlad!
Excellent work.I will definitely use some ideas of yours!
If i understood corectly i can use a central (+)cable and as (-)the frame?(theoretically as a huge cable?)
Do you think that my goal to eliminate OEM wiring and rewire ignition/cdi etc. is possible?In your posts you mention voltage drop over wires.Assuming that Suzuki has calculated v.d. in oem wiring If i attempt to rewire ignition,will sorter wires and difference of v.d. affect the performance of these critical components?Is there by any chance a way to measure it? 

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 04:20:33 PM »
If i understood corectly i can use a central (+)cable and as (-)the frame?(theoretically as a huge cable?)

Correct. I used the frame as the negative lead as much as possible. It saved me a lot of time and effort, plus added reliability and provided for practically unlimited current draw on the negative side. Look at the entire circuit as one wire - the longer and thinner it is the bigger the voltage drop. By using the frame, you practically shorten it by half.

Do you think that my goal to eliminate OEM wiring and rewire ignition/cdi etc. is possible?

It's possible, but not necessary, IMO. All you need to take care of is the wiring for large draw items such as headlights and any other electrical stuff you want to add. OEM harness is good for everything else.

In your posts you mention voltage drop over wires.Assuming that Suzuki has calculated v.d. in oem wiring...

Suzuki terribly miscalculated the voltage drop for the headlights. Other components are not so critical or sensitive, plus they have much shorter wiring to them (CDI and ignition are closer to the battery than headlights and draw much less current).

If i attempt to rewire ignition,will sorter wires and difference of v.d. affect the performance of these critical components?Is there by any chance a way to measure it?

It probably won't make any noticeable difference. Voltage drop is relatively easy to measure. Disconnect all other circuits except the one you measure for, measure the voltage at the battery and at the device when powered. You can experiment with a headlight bulb connected to the battery via a 6 feet of relatively thin wire (say, 14 or 16 gauge) to get an idea. Then connect it with the same length of 10 or 12 gauge and measure again.

Offline gixxerjasen

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 05:48:59 AM »
Interesting stuff.  I know on the Suzuki TLR, the wiring was horrible crap with lots of voltage drop.  One of the now popular mods is to run a relay and put in a near direct line from the battery to the coils.  Much improved performance.  A second mod was to do the same with the headlights.  I wonder if the Bandit would find the same benefits.

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 08:01:02 AM »
^ The potential benefits of beefing up any power supply wiring depend on their current draw and the length/gauge of the OEM wires. Also, in case of the ignition coils the strength/voltage/length of the electrical impulse is dictated primarily by the ignition electronics. Having all that in mind, I doubt that re-wiring coil supply would bring any benefit for the Bandit, but I'll examine the idea more closely over the winter just as an exercise. Headlight wiring is a totally different story.