Author Topic: Stuck/seized fuel tank cap  (Read 2963 times)

Offline rooster

• Board Regular!
Stuck/seized fuel tank cap
« on: December 02, 2011, 09:39:09 PM »
Hi all,

Wee problem with my 1992 Bandit 250. I thought that some people with older B400s/250s may have encountered this.

My tank cap has always operated smoothly, however today I went to open the tank and the key only turned half its normal rotation before stopping completely. This was accompanied by a squeaking/groaning sound like something was stuck or catching.

Had a fiddle around, managed to get the circular piece of silver trim around the actual flip-up cap off. From the small view I had, it looked like the two locking tabs that move in and out of the base of the cap were not moving properly. One retracts, the other only retracts halfway then stops. I can't slide/lever/pull it out without bending or tearing the inner lip that the tab is seating under.

Has anyone ever taken out a seized tank cap, or know how to disassemble one? Had a search through the boards but couldn't find anything about this problem.

I know the cap has two small philips head screws on the underside to disassemble, but of course I can't get to them if the cap won't flip up  :sad:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Stuck/seized fuel tank cap
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 04:52:45 PM »
Have you tried lubricating the lock cylinder?
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline rooster

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 09:36:29 PM »
Yes, I used quite a bit of penetrating oil into the lock cylinder.

The problem has been solved! I let it sit overnight with some more penetrating oil in the lock cylinder, then this morning gave it a sharp knock with a small mallet and it popped right open.

Looks like the problem was that one of the tabs had been gradually scraping on the inner lip of the fuel tank, until it got to the point where it was no longer flat and was catching. Ground it down a tiny bit and polished up and it's working perfectly.

ywgbandit

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 11:58:51 PM »
If you can find some "Triflow" and give the lock a shot of that ever 3-4 months, you will never have a problem again. Penetrates great and has lots of teflon to keep it  from happening again. Used by many lock smiths.